Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J Frame Pocket Holster in Conjunction w/ RCS Pocket Shield Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    This is great feedback - and has totally helped! I will ditch the idea of the CP + pistol ... had initially thought of it as a way to get both knife and pistol onboard while dressed with a tucked in shirt (not on belt line). I have a few pocket options coming and will update when they arrive and I get some mileage. In the meantime - any other feedback is welcome and thank you to those who have weighed in on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A suggestion that's worked for me in similar dress is:

1) Clinch Pick oriented for forward grip/edge in in my left front pocket;
    2) J-Frame carried appendix in a bellyband, grip barely above the belt line; and
    3) Other stuff (including a speed strip) in my right front pocket.

I've done the J-Frame in my right pocket and the CP in my left pocket before as well, but I run into the issue of not having anywhere to carry my phone and keys (I don't do things in my back pocket). The keys can work on the pocket shield but adding the phone usually causes the shield to print for me.

Site Supporter
    Ordered one of the Aholster backbones based off this thread. This website is worse for finances than high-end hooch and cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Ditto to Hubcap. I've had mine for a few weeks now, have worn it every day. It is simply outstanding. Not the best (the old Kramer I have gets that prize; but it is quite thick and while it looks like a wallet, anyone with some snap can definitely tell you have something in your pocket), but definitely the slimmest "hard" pocket holster I have tried... in many, many years of pocket carrying.

The guy must use actual guns (instead of Ring/etc. plastic pistols), because my holster is a PERFECT fit to my S&W M-360PD. One caveat... this holster is NOT for shallow pockets. But for semi-deep pockets- like 5.ll trousers, Cabela's look-alike 5.11 shorts, other Tactical Timmy pants, etc.- it is great.

Does it tend to cling to the gun or easily release? I like this, but concerned it will come out with the gun if you don't hook it right as kydex is usually pretty tight. Thanks and hope you are doing well.
    Last edited by Willard; 10-28-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Does it tend to cling to the gun or easily release? I like this, but concerned it will come out with the gun if you don't hook it right as kydex is usually pretty tight. Thanks and hope you are doing well.
    I like the thumb tab / thumb press feature on the design. For my autoloader in the pocket with kydex I never ran into problems on the draw but I did practice using both the "hook" of the holster as well as the thumb tab / press. My experience is the friction of the pocket fabric itself plus the tab and the holster hook = the holster staying in the pocket. YMMV

That being said, at one point I did try affixing a section of anti- slip material to the holster in an effort to "double down" and keep the holster in the pocket on the draw. (Used a section of rubber bike tire, also tried a strip of anti- slip sort of backing.) it turned out to be redundant and didn't really seem to add much to the equation. It also complicated the initial placement of the holster into the pocket.

Thanks. That pocket backbone version like LSP972 has is about as slimline as I've seen. If it stays put, I may relegate the others to backup or coat carry.
    Last edited by Willard; 10-30-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    I like the thumb tab / thumb press feature on the design.
    Are you talking about the Aholster having the thumb press? I like the looks of it and a thumb press to break retention would put it at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    It does (come out with the gun) under certain conditions. Just found that out a couple of days ago... apparently, it is subject to one's pocket interior design/dimensions. I have been wearing shorts (Cabela's & Columbia's), with no issues. Weather has turned, I went back to work, which means long pants. Wore a set of basic 5.11's- the ones that copy the original Royal Robbins/FBI trousers- Tuesday, and that puppy came right out, still on the M-360PD... both when I was showing the holster to colleagues, and at the end of the day at home when I was changing clothes. Hmmm... no bueno.

The other four days, I wore my four pair of EoTac "tactical pants"; similar to the 5.ll's, but made from what looks exactly like the old rip-stop "jungle cammies" we had in the army in the 70s. Marvelously comfortable, and unfortunately no longer available. I went practice shooting after work on Wednesday in those, and no problems.

So I dunno what to tell you. I wore another pair of identical 5.11's yesterday, and did almost fifty presentations to see if it would happen again... nope. The only thing I can say is its either dependent on the interior pocket design/pressure of one's thigh holding the holster in place, or something like that. But you can bet I'll be "testing" it in every different pair of pants I wear, from now on. If it didn't work so well as a trim, comfortable, and solid-positioned pocket holster, I'd just toss it.

Thanks for that report , the best part was hearing you're back at work.

Thanks for the rundown and really glad to hear you're back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Are you talking about the Aholster having the thumb press? I like the looks of it and a thumb press to break retention would put it at the top of my list.

Yes ... it does have that feature.

User Tag List