Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter gets her deer. :)

Daughter gets her deer. :)

So yesterday after passing up a bunch of does early in the morning, the oldest kid decided to take a nice Mule Deer doe as the evening deer came out to feed.

She used my 20" T3 .308, rather than her own, as I had asked her if she wanted to "holdover or dial". She opted to dial the shot, using my rifle with the compact nightforce. In reality, it was close enough, it really would not have mattered. The doe was lasered at 220 yards, so it was a chip shot either way.

As instructed she put it right behind the shoulder. Double lung and heart shot. She was pretty happy overall.

Last edited by Lost River; 10-23-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Naturally since we (my dad, daughter, and I) all have cow elk tags for December, we found 2 nice big bulls and about 20 elk, on the same high ridge we had climbed in the dark. Pretty much any year I draw a cow tag, I run into big bulls.

After the dark early morning climb, the kid was asleep as the sun warmed the hillside:

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    That is just freakin' awesome. Congrats!

That's cool. I can't wait till my one year old son can go hunting with me.

Asleep in the boonies, knowing daddy is there and she's safe. It pegs the cute-meter.

This is what I call quality daddy daughter time! Enjoying the outdoors together. I can't wait til my daughter is old enough to be able to take shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    This is what I call quality daddy daughter time! Enjoying the outdoors together. I can't wait til my daughter is old enough to be able to take shooting!
    Better yet, it was a 3 generation hunt. My dad, her "Papa" was with us. Neither my dad or I were too interested in filling our own deer tags, as much as we were interested in making sure the kid was successful.

"Papa" and daughter:

Frankly, my freezer is still filled with meat from previous hunts, and I honestly have no idea how to squeeze much more in there. Last year, due to all 3 of us getting elk, I ended up giving my elk away to 2 families that my dad knows, who were in need.

One elk will feed my wife/kids & I for the entire year. One elk is plenty for my folks too, who live in the mountains, and normally have their freezers filled with deer/elk venison, grouse, mountain berries, fish, etc.

So if we all happen to fill our tags this year, more likely than not, again we will split the meat up and give it to families that are in need.

Very cool. A freezer full of Elk is the kind of "problem" I enjoy having.

Great job by each family member! That's a really nice doe.

And if there is no room in the freezer, there is always room in the rafters for jerky.

Good work, Dad.

That's awesome man! Living the dream for sure! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List