Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full review of the Kenai Chest Holster for the outdoorsmen

I need to look at that rig for my USP Expert that will end up being my future outdoors gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Most of my USP pistols are set up with the match hybrid, but I have a pair of P30L DA/SA pistols I got from BCL, that have the most amazing DA/SA triggers for an HK, that I can shoot them better than any LEM, especially one handed. These two pistols really changed my thinking about which HK trigger I prefer.
    I gotta ask: what is different about them that you believe created this result?

I'm looking at just getting HK TDA guns to scratch the itch instead of others to keep my support gear budget down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post

I'm looking at just getting HK TDA guns to scratch the itch instead of others to keep my support gear budget down.

@BCL
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I need to look at that rig for my USP Expert that will end up being my future outdoors gun.
    If low profile is desired the Hill People Gear Recon Kit chest bag is the way to go (although it does get warm when you're hiking or in hot weather).
    If you don't mind having a big pistol openly strapped to your chest the Kenai works well and isn't nearly as hot and sweaty.
    I like those two because I often hike in very lightweight nylon Ex Officio style shorts/pants that won't support anything on a belt.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Bunch of people have shot themselves in Alaska with chest holsters.
    And the recent one was with a .454 Casull revolver! Any news on whether it was a DA or SA design?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And the recent one was with a .454 Casull revolver! Any news on whether it was a DA or SA design?
    Watching how the average Bubba reholsters his handgun in a floppy leather belt holster I can totally see how they can shoot themself in the chest especially with a leather Tanker style holster.
    For some reason they like to use the muzzle to open up the holster mouth, usually by pointing it straight into their hip/chest and then start wiggling the gun down into the holster (with their finger on the trigger the entire time).
    If they are using a Tanker holster with a flap I can just imagine the stupidity they are capable of trying to reholster, especially one-handed.
    Last edited by JodyH; 10-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post

Wolff 12lb hammer spring, light firing pin block spring (209296), and nickel-plated sear spring. Drops the DA down to 8-9lbs IIRC, but it's been a while. Make it seem much lighter than that and a lot smoother than typical HK DA triggers. Total cost (minus your time) should be less than $40.

Quote Originally Posted by BCL View Post
    Wolff 12lb hammer spring, light firing pin block spring (209296), and nickel-plated sear spring. Drops the DA down to 8-9lbs IIRC, but it's been a while. Make it seem much lighter than that and a lot smoother than typical HK DA triggers. Total cost (minus your time) should be less than $40.
    Awesome. That was my plan, and possibly sending out the bits to get NP3 on one to see if it's even nicer.

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Necrobump.

While talking to the guys at Gunfighters they mentioned they do have a quite a few customers who use the Kenai with a G43 under a shirt/tie or a vest and it works well. I purchased the Kenai with G43 shell prior to Christmas and have been using it underneath a jacket or vest while skiing, running, garage workout-ing, and simple errands around town. It is very comfortable and even under my ski pack (aka beer holder) it was barely noticeable. Definitely proofed it for and will be ordering one for a USP 45 soon.

I agree that it isn't the best for SFA guns and isn't a good "urban" holster but I have been impressed. I have also been thinking about a dedicated Kenai for a G19 w/WML and a few Taco pouches fixed to the straps for something of a "bump in the night HD" rig.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 01-21-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Interesting idea. Might have to look into that.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List