Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input for a New Corrections Officer"

Input for a New Corrections Officer"

Our adult daughter is undergoing training to be a CO in KY, and I've thinking about ways to support her...besides prayer!

Twenty years ago in my LE academy class I was introduced to "The Bullet Proof Mind" tape and other similar materials, but I'm sure the technology and resources have developed beyond that.

I'd appreciate some input about resources that may be helpful to her in preparing to meet the challenges of her environment.

Many thanks,

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    Our adult daughter is undergoing training to be a CO in KY, and I've thinking about ways to support her...besides prayer!

Twenty years ago in my LE academy class I was introduced to "The Bullet Proof Mind" tape and other similar materials, but I'm sure the technology and resources have developed beyond that.

I'd appreciate some input about resources that may be helpful to her in preparing to meet the challenges of her environment.

Many thanks,

George
    Jail or prison ?

Jail.....
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Never worked in corrections, but I have tons of respect for the men and women who do. Best of luck to your daughter.

I spent roughly three years as a state corrections officer. This was over thirty years ago in state systems devoid of racial tension, gang problems, etc. I tried to set a good example by speaking to them in a courteous manner, never using vulgar language, insults, etc.

I strongly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Games-Crimina.../dp/0960522603

Although it might be a part of the curriculum in CO academy.

There is also this: http://www.phylon-tgonzalez.com/downingaduck.html

Frankly I recommend she consider doing something else. I'm retired from State Corrections and I wouldn't do it again.

Whatever defensive tactics system the agency uses she should document each technique and be ready to explain which techniques she used in a use of force report. She should also get some good training in BJJ and response to edged weapons after completing the academy.

The suggestion above regarding "Games Criminals Play" is extremely important. Offenders have virtually limitless time to plan how to manipulate and compromise staff. Get her a supply of pocket notebooks. I recommend the moleskin brand with a bright red cover. Any question or issue that can't be dealt with immediately should go in the book and answered later.

Offenders recognize staff who follow through on what they say they will do, whether it's answering a question that has to be researched or documenting a behavior for sanctions. Putting things down in the "book" is also a surprisingly effective behavioral management antimanipulation tool as well, hence the "bright red cover" suggestion, as in "Oh oh! You fucked now he puttin' you in the book!"

Have her memorize the mantra: "Firm, Fair, Consistent - Never, Ever Friendly" and "O.C. is My Best Friend"
    Last edited by FNFAN; 10-02-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Whatever defensive tactics system the agency uses she should document each technique and be ready to explain which techniques she used in a use of force report. She should also get some good training in BJJ and response to edged weapons after completing the academy.

The suggestion above regarding "Games Criminals Play" is extremely important. Offenders have virtually limitless time to plan how to manipulate and compromise staff. Get her a supply of pocket notebooks. I recommend the moleskin brand with a bright red cover. Any question or issue that can't be dealt with immediately should go in the book and answered later.

Offenders recognize staff who follow through on what they say they will do, whether it's answering a question that has to be researched or documenting a behavior for sanctions. Putting things down in the "book" is also a surprisingly effective behavioral management antimanipulation tool as well, hence the "bright red cover" suggestion, as in "Oh oh! You fucked now he puttin' you in the book!"

Have her memorize the mantra: "Firm, Fair, Consistent - Never, Ever Friendly" and "O.C. is My Best Friend"
    All of the above is spot on. She will probably have the opportunity to make nearly unlimited overtime. She has to be careful not to overwork and burn herself out.
    Encourage her to have and maintain a balanced life. Corrections can be rewarding but will eat you alive if you allow it to.

My wife is a nurse practitioner in a medium security state corrections facility. She tells the inmates she will call their mama if they don't behave. And she's done it.

User Tag List