Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back and Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Since you currently live in Massachusetts, is there some irony in your comment?
    Maybe, but the last thing I want is for Vermont to end up like Mass.!

There are many things about New England I love, but Mass., in it's current form, isn't on that list. In fact, if Mass. Conn. and R.I could be booted out of New England somehow I certainly wouldn't shed a tear.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As for Vermont's politics, hippie/crunchy granola is only one aspect of it, and doesn't mean they're big-government regressives. Even among the hippie types I remember them being fairly hands off as to how much influence the government should have.

It's also the only actual democracy in the entire US, so....
    Exactly. It's liberal, but thereis a very strong libertarian streak in there. I'd also contend that the large population of transplants has skewed things. there are as many or more rednecks as there are treehuggers once you get outside of Burlington, Montpelier and Stowe.
    Last edited by VT1032; 10-22-2016 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ... Brought back local distillery products. Will test them. The cheese scene (another interest) is quite good.
    Of course, beer isn't distilled, but if you like IPA I hope you were able to try Heady Topper!
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

Site Supporter
    I tried two local beers a few times. A Hill Farmstead something and Switchback. They were just fine.

The folks fleeing Massachusetts to the other New England states has affected them just like the Californian's leaving for Washington and Oregon, and now Colorado, and the New Yorkers and those from Mass. flowing into south Florida (if you ever watch Boston at Tampa game or a New York at Miami game, there are often more Boston or New York fans in the stands)

They leave their home states to get away from taxes brought on by leftism, and then bring leftism with them. That's how so many of the states are turning Democrat.

Glenn, while you were in Vermont, I was visiting my daughter in San Antonio. She moved there in June and really likes Texas. I enjoyed the River Walk and the driving to the surrounding hill country very much. Seems like a really nice place to live. The heat would take some getting used to, though.

Driving in Texas wasn't as I envisioned it. Everyone seemed to drive under the speed limit on highways and most drivers were courteous to a fault. San Antonio is a very friendly place with lots of friendly people. I didn't see anyone open carrying in Texas; it's much more prevalent when I visit another daughter in Virginia. Speaking of gun laws though, Texas seems to be a confusing place. There are 51% signs in most of the hotels I saw, making it a felony to carry open or concealed, according to a desk clerk I talked to. Most of these signs are inside buildings, which means you're already a felon by the time you see the sign. Only way around it is to leave your gun in the car all the time which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm looking forward to returning to San Antonio on a regular basis.

Site Supporter
    Glad you enjoyed your visit. I have never seen open carry since the law passed. The 51% sign is confusing - it is only for estabishments that make 51% of income from liquor sales - as in a bar. However, some places put them up incorrectly because some moron risk manager or lawyer doesn't know the law. They can be easily reported to the appropriate agency in state government. The 30.06 signs which ban concealed carry are spreading as a fallout of the 30.07 open carry ban signs. Open carry was a complete fail on the practical level.

San Antonio is very friendly in the normal places to visit. There are bad neighborhoods of course. The heat is awesome at times. A month or so at a IDPA matching, even the hardened shooters were feeling it. It is not rare to get dehydrated even if you think you are not and then get clobbered. One of our best guys tells how he thought he was ok and got home and collapsed with cramps. I once was driving home and my forearms seized up in pain. Now, I just pour water and electrolyte drinks down myself. I saw a young, tough instructor get taken down in class.

Interestingly, while I enjoyed Vermont, San Antonio has a greater depth in restaurants - of course the town is way bigger. We also have big box sports stores with semi-decent prices all around (Academy). Both places are just great.

There is also a good local beer culture. When I first came here, I got pleasantly surprised by Shiner Bock (before that I was in OR and their beer culture). Now I have a yen for Shiner's Prickly Pear.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 10-23-2016 at 11:18 AM.

I wouldn't aim to retire in Vermont or NH. While they are gun friendly, the surrounding states are not. Given VT and NH are so small, travelling to or through nearby states is almost inevitable.

There's too many other good options.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Yep, NY, MA and CT block the rest of the country from them.

User Tag List