Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back and Vermont

Site Supporter

Back and Vermont

Just back from vacation in Vermont to see the leaves and the sights. It was a fun trip. Interesting gun take:

1. While I took an EDC set up, never felt I needed it (but that doesn't make a difference in having one).
    2. TSA - no problem. Some discussion in Austin about whether the gun case needs to be locked or not. Airlines person said take it to the TSA guy unlocked, TSA guy said they should be locked. In Vermont, they wanted it locked. In San Antonio, years ago, they wanted to inspect each gun individually. They put a big red tag on the suitcase both places. In Vermont, they took out my laptop and swabbed it. In Austin - nope. My shoes set off the metal detections. I forgot they were steel capped loafers that I got on sale.
    3. Went to a LGS in Burlington to talk. Folks were friendly - lots of EBRS, handguns, etc. Close to MSRP and magazines were very expensive compared to TX.
    4. They are running a governor's race. The current Democratic contestant wants sensible gun laws (in terms of background checks) and is against Weapons of War (EBRs). In a TV debate, which we watched, they were asked about gun control and she said - sensible, her opponent - no new laws. The moderator didn't ask about AWB things. That's the trouble with gun questions in debates - they just ask cliche level questions.
    5. It was funny driving around the state - I'm so used to TX distances - VT is so small. Stowe area is really pretty. I used to ski and it brought back memories. My skis were state of the art in 1980 - today they are as state of the art as a Black powder revolver for EDC.

Brought back local distillery products. Will test them. The cheese scene (another interest) is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just back from vacation in Vermont to see the leaves and the sights. It was a fun trip. Interesting gun take:

1. While I took an EDC set up, never felt I needed it (but that doesn't make a difference in having one).
    2. TSA - no problem. Some discussion in Austin about whether the gun case needs to be locked or not. Airlines person said take it to the TSA guy unlocked, TSA guy said they should be locked. In Vermont, they wanted it locked. In San Antonio, years ago, they wanted to inspect each gun individually. They put a big red tag on the suitcase both places. In Vermont, they took out my laptop and swabbed it. In Austin - nope. My shoes set off the metal detections. I forgot they were steel capped loafers that I got on sale.
    3. Went to a LGS in Burlington to talk. Folks were friendly - lots of EBRS, handguns, etc. Close to MSRP and magazines were very expensive compared to TX.
    4. They are running a governor's race. The current Democratic contestant wants sensible gun laws (in terms of background checks) and is against Weapons of War (EBRs). In a TV debate, which we watched, they were asked about gun control and she said - sensible, her opponent - no new laws. The moderator didn't ask about AWB things. That's the trouble with gun questions in debates - they just ask cliche level questions.
    5. It was funny driving around the state - I'm so used to TX distances - VT is so small. Stowe area is really pretty. I used to ski and it brought back memories. My skis were state of the art in 1980 - today they are as state of the art as a Black powder revolver for EDC.

Brought back local distillery products. Will test them. The cheese scene (another interest) is quite good.
    You probably don't need an EDC here, but it's nice not having to ask permission either...

What store did you go to, the Powderhorn?

Site Supporter
    It was the Powderhorn. Well stocked. I asked about pistol competitions in the area - not that I had time as we were doing nature and leaves. They didn't indicate there was much activity.

I did like Al's French Fry's nearby for a classic old-time hamburger, hot dog joint. So much better than a chain. Beautiful country. I did notice that the native liked to honk at tourists who hesitated at intersections. However, in TX - they might shoot at you.

I love VT. I visit in the summer at least once a year by way of motorcycle. Got up there 2x by way of MC this year. Love the soft serve ice cream (maple flavored of course), the clean air and visiting the gun shops and drooling over selections that are verboten in NJ. Seriously considering moving up that way someday, with the caveat...as long as they don't restrict firearms.
    Last edited by rauchman; 10-21-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't know the local politics to see if the populace would support that governor. Burlington did try to ban something or other but was knocked down. VT 1032 might know. At the Whole Foods like clone on Dorset my wife pointed out to me a local progressive newspaper that had a discussion of women and guns. It had a reasonable (but toward restrictions bias) discussion of the issue with pro and anti gun women. Usual discussion of how to deal with domestic violence.

Certainly their news wasn't filled with the shooting of the evening stories we get in San Antonio. Person X sees person Y at the bar at 2:00 AM and persons WXYZ all shoot at each other and the surrounds.

Vermont certainly is a very nice and perhaps underappreciated state.

Gun laws in Vermont are practically non-existent. You can carry open, concealed, resident, non-resident - it doesn't matter - no permits required at all. The only law that you would really need to be concerned with is that you can not carry a loaded rifle or shotgun within reach in your vehicle, and that is a law primarily to deter poaching.

The homicide rate for Vermont is consistently one of the lowest in the country. It does not have a very large population, and it is for the most part a pretty poor state.

Like many states, Vermont has been seeing a large increase in narcotics use over the last few years, primarily Heroin, brought up from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.

It is a very quaint and for lack of a better term very "New Englandy" state. I recently acquired some land up there, with the hope that at some point I will be retiring there. Unfortunately there seems to be an influx of progressives moving in from New York, Mass. and Conn. who are trying to turn Vermont into the crap states they moved away from. Hopefully, as far as the firearm laws go, they will be unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by jdesro View Post
    I recently acquired some land up there, with the hope that at some point I will be retiring there. Unfortunately there seems to be an influx of progressives moving in from New York, Mass. and Conn. who are trying to turn Vermont into the crap states they moved away from.
    Since you currently live in Massachusetts, is there some irony in your comment?

In spite of their unrestrictive gun laws, Vermont has always been pretty much "hippy leftist". New Hampshire on the other hand has been fairly conservative in the past, but went for President Obama both times. I believe you are right that the folks leaving "Taxachusettes" for New Hampshire have polluted the state who's motto is "Live free or die". When I lived in Maine, I was always inspired by the "Live free or die" on the New Hampshire license plates. Now I think it's just a joke.

It was the Powderhorn. Well stocked. I asked about pistol competitions in the area - not that I had time as we were doing nature and leaves. They didn't indicate there was much activity.

I did like Al's French Fry's nearby for a classic old-time hamburger, hot dog joint. So much better than a chain. Beautiful country. I did notice that the native liked to honk at tourists who hesitated at intersections. However, in TX - they might shoot at you.
    With regards to the natives honking, our usual traffic adversaries are Massholes and French Canadians (for such polite people, they're pretty obnoxious drivers) so you can understand our frustration...

I love the Powderhorn. Definitely one of the better stocked shops in VT and some of the sales staff are genuinely what I'd consider knowledgeable which is a rarity at brick and mortar shops these days.

If you are ever back in the area, there is an excellent little USPSA club in Morrisville, about 30 minutes or so from Stowe that does monthly matches if you feel like getting some shooting in.

http://www.gmpsvt.com/

I don't know the local politics to see if the populace would support that governor. Burlington did try to ban something or other but was knocked down. VT 1032 might know. At the Whole Foods like clone on Dorset my wife pointed out to me a local progressive newspaper that had a discussion of women and guns. It had a reasonable (but toward restrictions bias) discussion of the issue with pro and anti gun women. Usual discussion of how to deal with domestic violence.

Certainly their news wasn't filled with the shooting of the evening stories we get in San Antonio. Person X sees person Y at the bar at 2:00 AM and persons WXYZ all shoot at each other and the surrounds.
    With regards to the governor, my money would actually be on the republican (Phill Scott) winning. He's the current LT Governor and has a lot of name recognition. I hope he gets it. Burlington tried a local AWB and tried to ban carry in bars, but there is a state wide pre-emption on local gun laws so those proposals went nowhere luckily. Burlington isn't really Vermont in the true sense though, it's a city of college kids and transplants from elsewhere.

The powderhorn.

Fond memories.

That's where we used to get our guns and ammo when I attended college in Vermont. I remember it being a bunch of grizzled, bearded guys who always had Led Zeppelin playing while they smoked and drank beer. There would always be a big stack of atleast 4 cases of cheap beer sitting in the shop.

I bought my first K31 and my Vetterli from them. I remember them being big on pistols, EBRs, and milsurps.

As for Vermont's politics, hippie/crunchy granola is only one aspect of it, and doesn't mean they're big-government regressives. Even among the hippie types I remember them being fairly hands off as to how much influence the government should have.

It's also the only actual democracy in the entire US, so....
    Last edited by TGS; 10-22-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List