Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 187: Draw and Shoot Challenge 2

I think it makes a difference! Us competition guys know that no-shoots are "A" sucking vortexes.

Also, I just realized I didn't post my results for this DOTW from my last range session.

Girsan, 124g 9mm, competition gear.

String 1: 2.46 + .25 + 50 = 52.70
    String 2: 2.64
    String 3: 2.28 + 50 = 52.28
    String 4: 2.17
    String 5: 1.85
    String 6: 2.0 + .25 + .25 = 2.5
    String 7: 3.20
    String8: 3.14

Total time: 120.48
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-30-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I think there is a big difference between having the two no shoots and pretending there are no shoots

What say ye Gabe
    Not Gabe, but since I ran the drill without the no-shoots because my target carrier doesn't really allow for that sort of thing, I'd say "naw." The only way it would make a difference would be psychologically, since the target area is the same, and I knew that a shot in the C or D would be a +50 and death for my score. So I had to slow down and hammer only A-zone hits.
    Last edited by jetfire; 10-31-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Is there anyway you could run it again with the no shoots beside it? I'd love to know if it changes anything for you.
    i used to wannabe

I think there is a big difference between having the two no shoots and pretending there are no shoots

What say ye Gabe
    Is there anyway you could run it again with the no shoots beside it? I'd love to know if it changes anything for you.
    I hear you there Luke. I think that's a pretty interesting thing and probably depends on the person. I personally prefer to actively observe and act in accordance with Rule 4. If there's going to be the assumption that a shot that didn't hit the most desirable scoring zone is a total disaster and = FAIL effectively, then I want to put actual representations of no-shoots in the drill. When they are not there, it's hard for me to act like they are. I think it is just a psychological thing. In my daily life, I see lots of physical circumstances where there would be a massive issue with bystanders present, and also lots of physical circumstances where there are no bystanders and a clearly safe backstop. So I like setting up some drills that contain no foreground/background issues, and ones that do, and consciously acting in accordance with the spatial problem at hand.

To the technical point I think you are making, yes, I agree, and that's part of why I have the basic Draw and Shoot drills set up to favor shooting for As without delay. There's a clear foreground and background in that set of drills, and I think most people can have a stronger overall combination of accuracy and speed if there can be a low level of tolerance for shooting error (talking Cs here, not misses, that's important) as opposed to NO tolerance for error. Shooting without error is partly illusory, and to the extent one can go in that direction, it can cost a lot of time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Yeah, I think I can ghetto rig a target set up that will perform that task. Might just be some white sheets of paper taped to the target.

User Tag List