Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Week 8: Diminishing PAR Reloads

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    People next to me decided it was a good time to put 150 rounds through their AR pistol w/ a 7.5 inch barrel and a battlecomp. I just gave up after about 35 rounds because I was getting a headache. I tried to focus and do well, but it just wasn't happening.
    I was there as well. It was insane. It was endless mag dump after mag dump. Splits were about .75-1.50, for 30 rounds at a time.

Muzzle flash? More like muzzle flamethrower. It was cartoon-like.

Fortunately the range gods smiled upon me, as I was far away at the end working with a new shooter. Had I been where Jconn was, I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten anything done.

This was by far the worst disruptive noise incident I have ever experienced at a range.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I should of just left... Not worth it at all, I essentially wasted 100 rounds.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The six inch circle was driving me NUTS on this drill. I had 3 or 4 runs where all my hits were on the 8 inch circle that surrounds it. The big struggle for me was waiting until the sights were back on target for the first shot following the reload.
    (...)
    I was amazed at the difference between hitting an 8 inch circle and a 6 inch circle at 7 yards.
    I had the same thing happening. It's the Q-PT's fault. It's not just the target size, it's the fact that there is a very distinct target zone (grey 8" circle) that tells you shoot me now! and inside of it is a non-distinct 6" circle that you're trying to hit without a good visual reference. After a lot of frustration, I took a black magic marker and colored in the whole outer ring between the 8" and 6" lines. That was good for another 0.2s (from 3.3 to 3.1) on my drill.

That's it blame the target.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Works for me. In all seriousness though, it's true - the line between the six inch circle and the 8 inch circle on the PT target isn't really distinct, but my vision can pick out the 8 inch circle just fine. When you couple that with me trying to "use all the target", I'll end up landing shots in the 8 inch circle but outside the sixer.

* Start position: ready
    * Type of reload: slide lock
    * Starting PAR: 4.00
    * Best PAR: 3.30
    * # of rounds fired total: 100ish

HKP30 V3 Heinie S8Q

This drill really helped with my mag. changes from concealment. I typically have an open front vest, but I reloaded from under a t-shirt on this drill. My reloads started out around 3sec with this new method, but by the end of the rounds I was getting consistent 2.15 reloads. I certainly know what does not work for me.... My best run was .76 / 2.06 / .35 = 3.17 I am very pleased with my reload times but my splits need work. Accuracy was good but I just felt like I could not go faster on the splits.
    Taking a break from social media.

Start position: From the ready, with spare mag concealed in a DGL RC mag pouch under a hoodie.
    Type of reload: slidelock
    Starting PAR: 5.0 seconds (based on timing my very first run)
    Best PAR (all hits): 4.5 seconds
    # of rounds fired total: 45

Further notes: I was doing some pistol comparison data gathering today so I shot this twice, with both my P30 and G34. Since I didn't have a AIWB holster for the 34, and didn't want that to be a variable, I shot it from the ready. I loaded up 3 mags each and shot 45 rounds with each gun, towards the end of my range session, beginning with the 34. Oddly enough, I got the same results for both - a very slow 4.5 sec. Switching back and forth between the traditional glock mag release and the P30's paddle didn't do me any favors. After fumbling with the Glock reloads, about the time I started to get comfortable with the Glock I switched back to the P30 and fumbled several of those reloads very badly - had I started with the P30 which I'm more used to now, I probably would have had a lower start PAR and end PAR. All told, I was a little bit surprised by the matching times. I didn't write down all my splits, but in general, the trend seemed to be that the reload with the P30 was a little faster, but the shots and splits were a little faster with the Glock (lighter, shorter trigger).
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 11-25-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Another good drill that makes me want to have better peripheral equipment (timer/vest/targets).

Gun: HKP30L (just sharpied the rear sights-YAY!)
    Target: Thought I had a 6" in the bag, but it was 5" argghhh! (bad student)
    Start: ready with uber tactical old navy vest-now for MEN!
    Type of reload: speed/in-battery (too lazy, too slow and too few mags to run this using slide lock)
    Par: 6 secs clean
    Best par: 4.95 clean
    Avg par: 5.44
    # of rounds: 100ish

Wish I had written down the whole string, to check my reloads, but they avg typically around 2.3-2.5ish. I guess I'll try to do this again tomorrow.

Start position: concealed @ the 2 o'clock position, with safariland m 27 holster (shot w\G19)
    Type of reload: slidelock
    Starting PAR: 9 sec.
    Best PAR 7.34 --(8.59) (8.47) (7.34) (8.19) (7.58) (8.11)
    # of rounds fired total: 18

Fun drill! It's been a rainy and very busy week, haven't had much time to hit the range lately But I was able to squeez in a little time to try out this weeks drill: I hit my best par in the middle of the exercise but wasn't able to keep it consistant. I'm going to add this drill to my "regular range routine" next month and see if i can bring those numbers down a bit!!

Start position holstered under concealment. Shaggy holster and blackhawk mag pouch.
    Start par 3.5.
    Best clean 3.1.
    Rounds fired 18

User Tag List