Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 8: Diminishing PAR Reloads

Start position: Aimed in on target, spare mag concealed
    Type of reload: Slide-lock
    Starting PAR: 2.75 seconds
    Best PAR: 2.15
    # of rounds fired total: 45

The six inch circle was driving me NUTS on this drill. I had 3 or 4 runs where all my hits were on the 8 inch circle that surrounds it. The big struggle for me was waiting until the sights were back on target for the first shot following the reload. In both IDPA and USPSA, I've practiced to accept a C or a -1 as an acceptable hit for the first shot off a reload when I'm really cranking for speed. For example, a breakdown of reloads where I'd have a hit outside the 6 inch circle had reload times around 1.65 seconds. Reloads where I'd get both hits were 1.8-2.00. In USPSA, taking a charlie there is totally worth it if I'm standing and shooting static targets.

I was amazed at the difference between hitting an 8 inch circle and a 6 inch circle at 7 yards.

Believe it or not it's a 25% or better decrease in target size. That can be allot.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The six inch circle was driving me NUTS on this drill. I had 3 or 4 runs where all my hits were on the 8 inch circle that surrounds it. The big struggle for me was waiting until the sights were back on target for the first shot following the reload. In both IDPA and USPSA, I've practiced to accept a C or a -1 as an acceptable hit for the first shot off a reload when I'm really cranking for speed. For example, a breakdown of reloads where I'd have a hit outside the 6 inch circle had reload times around 1.65 seconds. Reloads where I'd get both hits were 1.8-2.00. In USPSA, taking a charlie there is totally worth it if I'm standing and shooting static targets.

I was amazed at the difference between hitting an 8 inch circle and a 6 inch circle at 7 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Believe it or not it's a 25% or better decrease in target size. That can be allot.
    I've broken my mind on the 6" circle before too. Then I did the math and realized why it seems considerably harder.

Although the 6" circle is 25% smaller than the 8" circle by diameter, it is only 56% of the total area of an 8" circle (6" circle = 28.27 sq. in. area, 8" circle = 50.27 sq. in area.) I think this explains why a 6" circle seems to be such a significantly more difficult target than an 8" circle.

Part of it is visual conditioning - I've spent in the order of 20k+ rounds this year shooting at 8 inch circles, so there's a tendency to shoot when I know the sights are good enough to get a hit there.

Site Supporter
    From Concealment (CCC Shaggy, Untucked Polo)
    Slide Lock Reload
    Starting PAR: 4.50s
    Best Par: 3.90s
    Round Count: 24

Draw from concealment (t-shirt, iwb holster @ 3:00)
    Slide-lock reload
    Starting par: 5.5 seconds
    Best par: 5.2 seconds
    Rounds: 20

JV helped me spot a kink or two in my draw stroke after I had finished this drill. I didn't end up running this particular drill again after that, but my overall draw times were significantly faster and I think I'll see how that affects my 1-R-2 times next time I hit the range.

From concealment - untucked polo, CCC Shaggy
    Starting par - 6.0
    Best par - 5.3
    Rounds fired 99

I liked this a lot, going to use this one more and use the principle on other drills

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Part of it is visual conditioning - I've spent in the order of 20k+ rounds this year shooting at 8 inch circles, so there's a tendency to shoot when I know the sights are good enough to get a hit there.
    In a similar vein, I've been spending a lot of time on 3x5 index cards and have the opposite thing going on. I've been having trouble ramping up the speed when going to a larger target.

Start position: concealed closed front, from AIWB Keepers Kydex holster
    Type of reload: slidelock, Glock Gen4 G34
    Starting PAR: 3.7 seconds
    Best PAR (all hits): 3.3
    # of rounds fired total: 80ish,

Ive SO got to start doing my dry fire training agin!!!!! This drill drove me NUTS!!!!! and I basically gave up on the 6'' circle as I was using a 8'' circle target and thought I could make my self keep a tight group in the center of the 8'' circle, yea not so much.... So I backed up to about 9yds and ran the drill from there. had a few good runs at 3.3 and then the wheels fell off and I had to quit and run some very slow deliberate drill to get the mechanics down.

It did help though I ran a few other drill and then ran some FAST's (3) 4.75-1 body, 4.51 clean and 4.07-1 head (DANGIT!!)
    Ill be starting my Dry fire agin soon.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Gen 3 Glock 19
    Start position: closed front shirt strong side raven concealment iwb
    Starting par: 5.1 (done as an average of 5 clean runs. Average was actually 5 but I thought I would give myself room)
    Best time: 5.0
    Rounds fired: about 50

Could not do this. People next to me decided it was a good time to put 150 rounds through their AR pistol w/ a 7.5 inch barrel and a battlecomp. I just gave up after about 35 rounds because I was getting a headache. I tried to focus and do well, but it just wasn't happening.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

User Tag List