Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all HK P30sk/LEM Fans

I'm with Rich, it's not that particularly hard or complicated but it is different. I have mostly shot Glocks and 1911s in my life and the longish takeup isn't that big a deal, however, the longish reset does take some getting used to.

Rich Jenkins, Excellent info. I had just read the link dagga boy had last night and he's as knowledgeable as anyone on the LEM, but to your point, appreciate your comments of the overblown complexity of the trigger. That was exactly my though to a degree as I dry fired it. I certainly realize that it will be different in live shooting. I also realize many of the very experienced on this forum recognize every one of the nuances of each trigger, but sometimes it's actually good to just not know what you don't know and get hung up on it. I just need to find a range that has the LEM v1 rental to shoot.
    Last edited by Dismas316; 10-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.

I love my LEM guns.

I don't find them any harder to shoot on average than anything else. There are strengths and weaknesses to any system, though and they need to be acknowledged and accounted for.

I find the biggest strength of LEM is it is easier to manage under stress than other trigger systems. By this I mean that the action is inherently benevolent onward the process of problem solving/decision making with the gun in hand. It's easier for me to know where I'm at in a press, get off the trigger if needed, and less likely that if I have a slight pucker/trigger check moment that it will make the decision for me. DB has written extensively on this; I've just had opportunity to take a couple classes focused on decision making in the last year and it has absolutely validated his experiences to me.

The real weakness with LEM as I see it is that it is hard to push your splits down to that bloody razor edge. I can Bill Drill better with a Glock or Sig w SRT.

I'm okay with that trade off for the boost in accountability I believe the LEM helps me achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Rich Jenkins, Excellent info. I had just read the link dagga boy had last night and he's as knowledgeable as anyone on the LEM, but to your point, appreciate your comments of the overblown complexity of the trigger. That was exactly my though to a degree as I dry fired it. I certainly realize that it will be different in live shooting. I also realize many of the very experienced on this forum recognize every one of the nuances of each trigger, but sometimes it's actually good to just not know what you don't know and get hung up on it. I just need to find a range that has the LEM v1 rental to shoot.
    I've shot the V3 for at least 4 years (~'10-'14) before I switched to the LEM V1 and the transition was tough due to the very light take up. Then about 6 mos in on the V1 I switched to the V2 heavy TRS on JodyH's recommendation and I was much happier with live fire.

Dry fire was way different than live fire for me.

ETA: what O&D said. My splits were rough on LEM vs V3 and Glock topped them all in less than 3 months training.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 10-21-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

I love the P30SK as a primary carry sub compact daily carry pistol. I use mine for travel, especially to ban states with a load of five 10 round magazines. I made some modifications that I need to sort of refine. My current daily carry due to a NPE situation is a P2000SK V1 LEM with Orange Trijicon HD's. I need to get my P30SK set up similar. I am having a hard time getting a good zero with my P30SK. I switched stock front sights to adjust for hitting high. It now does not line up well with my 10-8 rear. The 10-8 rear/stock front is one of my favored set ups on the HK45 series. I will be going to Trijicon HD's on my P30SK and one of my VP9's as it seems right now with my eyes, this system works best. In regards to the trigger....I went to a 4.1 on the P30SK that I like;however, I shoot the light LEM better on any of our drills that are past typical guy fighting distances. I will be sending the gun to HK to do a light LEM 4.1. It was hard to get a solid answer on if the light and 4.1 was reliable. I figure having HK do it will ensure it is done right and reliable for a daily carry gun.

Overall, the P30SK is a favorite for a small gun that runs like a big gun. I prefer the P2000SK as a pure deep concealment gun. I will be penning an article doing a comparison and thoughts on the two guns once I get them into configurations where they are apple to apples. My life has been turned into a Sub Compact life by circumstance. That article is getting penned today (a major publication has committed to a series on the Snubby lifestyle, Sub compact service gun lifestyle, and a service gun lifestyle for carry).
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

DB - certainly share what publication. I'll be sure to be on the look out.
    Taking a break from social media.

I too look forward to a series of articles on the Sub compact sized guns.

Calling all HK P30sk/LEM Fans

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Outstanding. I really, really wonder sometimes about the folks who complain that the LEM is too complicated, etc. Yes, it is DIFFERENT... but certainly not complicated.

Whatever. Good for you. Enjoy your new piece.

Thanks! I really enjoyed my range time Monday. 120+ rounds flew by in no time. I found it a lot of fun to shoot...not exactly something I was frankly expecting from a subcompact carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Are you trying to set the Internet on fire? Because this is how you set the Internet on fire!
    Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I'm surprised some of the usual suspects haven't shown up to ensure that it does burn
    Give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    The key in Rich's post is "for me". It's OK if the the generic "you" can't master it. The world will still turn, don't spend time trying to convince me, I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Very astute. I consciously and specifically added the "for me" to the comment.

I've now owned 4 pistols since 2013. Other than that, zip. So, it's taken me that long to actually come around to starting to understand what I don't know. Dunning and Kruger are fairly close friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Erm yeah; that Dagga Boy guy knows a thing or three about HK LEMs.

If you are anywhere near Tampa FL, shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to connect up at a range sometime. I'm closer to Clearwater if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post

The real weakness with LEM as I see it is that it is hard to push your splits down to that bloody razor edge. I can Bill Drill better with a Glock or Sig w SRT...
    See, that's just it. To those of us who have no idea what this ^^^ means, we pick up a LEM and go:

"...Hey, this feels fine. So, you just press it back? to...this point? And then squeeze just a bit more and the hammer goes "tink"?

That's it?

And you say the trigger press is like this, every single time? And if I don't want to fire, I just release the trigger, and carefully holster the gun?"

...Cause that is the reaction I had. No big deal. But, again, emphasis that I don't have a very complex or long frame of firearms ownership reference.

Three years ago, I would not (and did not) make this decision with my first pistol (a SW M&P full size 9). I was in the YouTube phase we new shooters go through. You know, Yankee Marshall, Hickock45, Costa, Haley. I swear, I must have watched Costa's video on his tricked out M&P a dozen times.

But of course, now I know it was the wrong size pistol "for me". It's just taken me 4 purchases and 3 years to get here.

EDIT

On topic, my X grip and pinky extension arrived.

Last edited by RJ; 10-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.

If someone was ambitious, a comparison of a P30SK, P2000SK, M&P 9C and G26, shooting something like Gabe's school test, 25 yard groups, and some reliability number of rounds would be interesting.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

All guns are subject to the "for me" caveat, but the truth is, if you understand how to shoot a gun, none of the guns out there, and none of the triggers out there, are actually beyond you. Some are just a little friendlier than others. Solid, deep fundamentals go a long, long way.

User Tag List