Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for some German Shepherd advice and info.

Site Supporter
    The 12 weeks of socialization with the breeder's dogs and family is a more modern concept. It is supposed to produce more mentally balanced dogs that know better how to interact appropriately with other dogs. Certainly not a reason to shop elsewhere.

I have been 100% lab owner and they have been awesome. 2 years ago we were driving behind a pickup truck on the interstate that had a german shepard in the back. (I implore all of you to never have a dog unsecured in your pickup, sorry but your in idiot if you do that) Well as you can guess the dog fell out going 70mph and thankfully when she hit the pavement, she was close enough to the side of the road that she ended up on the grass. Horrible event, driver never stopped. I'll try to make a very long story short. We took the dog to the emergency vet, she had a chip and they found the owner. Owner couldn't pay/take care of injured dog so he surrendered the dog to us. Unfortunately we had to amputate her front left leg. Good thing is for most dogs, the 4th leg is really a spare, she swims, runs, and is a typical GS bad ass but the sweetest dog you can imagine.

I say all of that to say this, I would have never considered a GS, ever, but after owning her, I feel blessed she literally fell into our lap. They are incredibly smart, loyal, sweet, and awesome protectors of their family. They are a fantastic breed of dog. Some insurance companies will frown on them, but to me I don't care. They are will worth the extra money you might have to pay to have a fantastic loyal family member. Obviously I would highly recommend them. She and our lab are like frik and frak. I will not hesitate to get another one down the road. By the way labs are pretty awesome as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    I have been 100% lab owner and they have been awesome. 2 years ago we were driving behind a pickup truck on the interstate that had a german shepard in the back. (I implore all of you to never have a dog unsecured in your pickup, sorry but your in idiot if you do that) Well as you can guess the dog fell out going 70mph and thankfully when she hit the pavement, she was close enough to the side of the road that she ended up on the grass. Horrible event, driver never stopped. I'll try to make a very long story short. We took the dog to the emergency vet, she had a chip and they found the owner. Owner couldn't pay/take care of injured dog so he surrendered the dog to us. Unfortunately we had to amputate her front left leg. Good thing is for most dogs, the 4th leg is really a spare, she swims, runs, and is a typical GS bad ass but the sweetest dog you can imagine.

I say all of that to say this, I would have never considered a GS, ever, but after owning her, I feel blessed she literally fell into our lap. They are incredibly smart, loyal, sweet, and awesome protectors of their family. They are a fantastic breed of dog. Some insurance companies will frown on them, but to me I don't care. They are will worth the extra money you might have to pay to have a fantastic loyal family member. Obviously I would highly recommend them. She and our lab are like frik and frak. I will not hesitate to get another one down the road. By the way labs are pretty awesome as well.
    Good for you. You actions have been rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I just picked one up from a rescue, but then again I don't need a working dog, just someone to bark like a retard (see avatar) when someone is at the door.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Maya is the GS, Henry is her pal.

Name:  maya.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  69.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    He looks just like my GSD, even down to the tail markings.

You just need to add about 10 pounds of loose fur.

A friend's dog was a telephone bell. Apparently the phone put out some sort of low volume-high frequency sound before the ringer. Annie heard it and barked. This was a real convenience because my friend is a bit deaf from too long with gunfire, artillery, and satchel charges and modern phone ringers are not as loud as the old gear.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    That is a nice looking Shepherd...straight back and not a sloped back "frog dog." Appears to be nice sized. I generally like a little more markings, but in this case very handsome animal. Any idea where it came from (breeder)?

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    That is a nice looking Shepherd...straight back and not a sloped back "frog dog." Appears to be nice sized. I generally like a little more markings, but in this case very handsome animal. Any idea where it came from (breeder)?
    Looks like a Mal/GSD cross to me.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Looks like a Mal/GSD cross to me.
    I was wondering that myself...

User Tag List