Thread: AR15 - Which should I choose?

Quote Originally Posted by lawnguy View Post

1) COLT-CE1000
    2) Smith &Wesson M&P 15 SPORT II
    3) American Tactical Imports AR15 Omni Hybrid Maxx Ria 16"
    4) Palmetto State Armory CLASSIC FREEDOM KEYMOD
    5) Ruger AR 556
    6) Anderson AM15-M4
    I'm disappointed that after the 11 page AR15 or AK47? thread, this is the list that has popped out. I haven't even heard of some of the brands listed, and they weren't among the suggestions from the membership in that thread. Several members already warned you away from the American Tactical Imports model (which you previously had linked to in .300 Blackout, a very expensive cartridge).

At least the Colt and the S&W surfaced in the previous thread as possible recommendations, and though I echo Jay and F2S' advice above, if forced to choose from this list I'd pick the Smith.

And please seek training on how to use whatever you purchase.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Makers of $650 ARs use barrels with gas ports that are too large, carbine buffers instead of H or H2 buffers, barrels with gas ports that are too large and inferior springs that will suffer premature failure because the rifle is over gassed.

Upgrading a $650 AR to the parts it should have came with from the manufacturer will cost an additional $150 or more. A $650 AR can be shot as is, but being over gassed means it will continually suffer from premature spring failure and will need to have its inferior parts replaced.

Bottom line, the end cost of a $650 AR will be $800 minimum.

This is why experienced and knowledgeable AR shooters automatically guide newbies to the Colt 6920 or the 6720
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Makers of $650 ARs use barrels with gas ports that are too large, carbine buffers instead of H or H2 buffers, barrels with gas ports that are too large and inferior springs that will suffer premature failure because the rifle is over gassed.

Upgrading a $650 AR to the parts it should have came with from the manufacturer will cost an additional $150 or more. A $650 AR can be shot as is, but being over gassed means it will continually suffer from premature spring failure and will need to have its inferior parts replaced.

Bottom line, the end cost of a $650 AR will be $800 minimum.

This is why experienced and knowledgeable AR shooters automatically guide newbies to the Colt 6920 or the 6720
    Thank you very much for this info! I will save up more $ and get the Colt 6920.

Move quickly.
    #RESIST

If you lack funds buy a lower receiver and add an upper when you can afford to get the Colt/BCM/LMT/DD.

I'd be fine with S&W based upon personal experience. Not to impugn Failure2Stop (though he is a commie).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    If you lack funds buy a lower receiver and add an upper when you can afford to get the Colt/BCM/LMT/DD.
    This. I've had great luck with my 6920s and 6933, and while I have no experience with LMT or DD, I have no doubt that they are great guns. But BCM really seems to be the perfect intersection between hard-use quality and price, and when you can pick up a complete lower for $395 (less if you get a blem, I think), and an upper for 4 something before handguards/BCG, you're pretty close to your price point. BCM tends to run deals where you can get the BCG for over half off when you buy the upper as well.

I was really tempted by DD/KAC when I bought my last AR, but I just couldn't get past the economies of scale for the BCM guns. Plus being able to break the rifle up into smaller purchases really helps.

You set a budget of $650. For $100 more, you can purchase a Colt 6920 OEM1 for $750 with free shipping.
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem1.htm

Buy one of these. Then look for an on-line sale and pick up a set of MagPul furniture, trigger guard and a MagPUl MBUS. You will have an extremely dependable and reliable carbine.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 10-20-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd be fine with S&W based upon personal experience. Not to impugn Failure2Stop (though he is a commie).
    I've had good experience with my S&W M&P 15T but just like the Colt Expanse is not the equal of the 6920, the S&W sport is not the equal of the S&W M&P15. The price differences in both lines have to come from somewhere.

The Sport II seems to be the best of the $650 AR's but I think Beattrash nailed it - the Colt OEM is the way to go.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-20-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    You set a budget of $650. For $100 more, you can purchase a Colt 6920 OEM1 for $750 with free shipping.
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-O...e6920-oem1.htm

Buy one of these. Then look for an on-line sale and pick up a set of MagPul furniture, trigger guard and a MagPUl MBUS. You will have an extremely dependable and reliable carbine.
    That is a very good recommendation.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List