Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR15 - Which should I choose?

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Makers of $650 ARs use barrels with gas ports that are too large, carbine buffers instead of H or H2 buffers, barrels with gas ports that are too large and inferior springs that will suffer premature failure because the rifle is over gassed.

Upgrading a $650 AR to the parts it should have came with from the manufacturer will cost an additional $150 or more. A $650 AR can be shot as is, but being over gassed means it will continually suffer from premature spring failure and will need to have its inferior parts replaced.

Bottom line, the end cost of a $650 AR will be $800 minimum.

This is why experienced and knowledgeable AR shooters automatically guide newbies to the Colt 6920 or the 6720
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    If you lack funds buy a lower receiver and add an upper when you can afford to get the Colt/BCM/LMT/DD.
    This.

Last time I decided I "needed" an AR. I just bought a couple of lowers. Later, I built one up into a 9mm Colt-pattern gun and the other lower is destined to get a HK556 upper.

I think we might need a recommended -at this point in time*- lower assembly or stripped lower thread. I will say that the Arms Unlimited page shows Colt M4 complete lowers listed for $400- though currently out of stock...

Brownells is showing BCM complete lowers with pistol grip and buttstock for the same price-
    $399, and in stock.
    http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...aEQ5SVU9In0%3d

This or the Colt OEM-1 might be one of your best bets right now.

* Not sure how Tom et al might feel about it, but maybe a yearly sticky to help the newer folks find parts that are proving known good would be a useful addition to the long guns section.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

FWIW, the S&W Sport continues to impress me for a gun I bought for under $500

Still no gun related stoppages, and only one of any kind, due to being a Vietnam era mag loaded with Norinco ball ammo in a very dusty Pannone class and being shit in "SBU prone". Mag was at fault, can't blame the gun.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    FWIW, the S&W Sport continues to impress me for a gun I bought for under $500

Still no gun related stoppages, and only one of any kind, due to being a Vietnam era mag loaded with Norinco ball ammo in a very dusty Pannone class and being shit in "SBU prone". Mag was at fault, can't blame the gun.
    I was hoping to hear more from you about this, but didn't want to pester you. Is there a part II to your review coming up on your blog?
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 10-20-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I was hoping to hear more from you about this, but didn't want to pester you. Is there a part II to your review coming up on your blog?
    Rich Grassi has been asking me for more articles for the Tac Wire, so yeah, pretty soon.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Does anyone know where I can find a 6920 OEM 2? I can't seem to track one down anywhere locally.

deleted ----- info out of date
    Last edited by blues; 10-20-2016 at 02:57 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List