Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule 2 violation leads to charge

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Denver officer charged after allegedly aiming gun at two other officers at police headquarters

Officer Sal Jaramillo was on duty when he allegedly placed his loaded handgun on a desk and aimed at two colleagues

By Kirk Mitchell | kmitchell@denverpost.com
    Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey has charged a Denver police officer with two misdemeanor counts of prohibited use of weapons after he aimed his service weapon at two other officers while on duty at Denver police headquarters.

Anselmo (Sal) Jaramillo, 46, was on duty on Sept. 18 when he allegedly placed his loaded handgun on a desk and maneuvered it so that it was aimed at two other officers, according to a news release by Morrissey’s spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gotta be a lot more to the story.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

More to the story or this guy is desk pop levels of stupid.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

"...he allegedly placed his loaded handgun on a desk and maneuvered it so that it was aimed at two other officers..."

Sounds like a doofus playing a joke or expressing an aggressive feeling toward the "pointees".

Still, it may bear noting in discussing these sorts of cases that Cooper's "Rule 2" (along with the other 3 "Rules"), addresses gun-handling, not "administrative" gun status (e.g., carrying in holster, storage, cleaning).

I'm certainly not endorsing the purposeful placing of a sidearm so that its muzzle specifically points toward anyone, but guns don't spontaneously "go off" by themselves, except as alleged by liars, and in lawsuits.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

If his behavior is such that he is willing to point a loaded firearm at two fellow peace officers, whom I presume are also armed, then imagine his conduct towards the citizens that he may have an altercation/confrontation with.

Granted though, we don't know "the rest of the story", and often it is all in who writes a report.

That being said, there will always be a small/certain percentage of people in any given profession that have absolutely no business being there.

Even though it seems to be a not-so-veiled threat or shitty joke, "pointed at" =/= "aimed at."

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Even though it seems to be a not-so-veiled threat or shitty joke, "pointed at" =/= "aimed at."
    In many places things like what we have here in KS such as Criminal Threats exist. He is lucky, here it's a felony.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

A gun doesn't have to be pointed directly at someone, or in the hand, for a deadly threat to be conveyed. Whether a threat so conveyed is justified and lawful, or unlawful, is another question. Examples that might yield different answers include a person drawing to a muzzle-averted ready position in circumstances that justify it, doing the same in circumstances that don't justify it, and a robbery committed by flashing a gun in the waistband and demanding money, even though the hands never actually touched the gun.

When a firearm is intentionally pointed at someone, it seems hard to argue that a deadly threat was not conveyed.

If someone placed a firearm on a surface and appeared to intentionally align it with me, and the gun was where they could reach it and start using it imminently (we might think about some human dynamics of how long it takes to move a certain distance, pick up a gun, and how long it can take for a threat to stop), I'd consider it a deadly threat. That doesn't mean I'd necessarily respond with deadly force, particularly if I believed they were doing it because they were a moron or maliciously trying to create fear, but I'd definitely want them charged with a crime even if I didn't act overtly in self-defense. In Oregon, there is a crime called Pointing Firearm at Another, which can cover this, along with Menacing (unlawfully creating the fear of death/serious physical injury in another.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Guess it just stems from the word "aim". To me that means looking down the sights. Pointing it at someone on a desk is still a threat but not aiming per se.

Either way I'm sure local laws interpret it differently. Either way this is a case of folks being a little too tarded.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List