Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for S&W revolver work

Need recommendation for S&W revolver work

My grandfather passed a year ago and left the family with numerous guns. I was asked to go through them and pick out ones I want with no intent to resell. I settled on a Model 60-7, which was in great condition, good timing, no endshake. I have carried it this summer after my PPS got stolen and I'm thinking about having some work done to make it more suitable for the role. Particularly having the hammer bobbed, and converted to DA only but I am not particularly familiar with revolvers, so would this be a bad idea for any reason? Is there anything else I should look to have done? And who ought I send it to?
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Other than modifying your grandfather's gun, there is no significant downside IMO (you're carrying a DA revolver, you should shoot it DA). There is the risk of the lower hammer mass not having enough inertia to pop primers, but as long as the hammer spring is strong, this isn't an issue. My personal carry j-frame has a bobbed, DA-only hammer (factory mod, not aftermarket). In 11 years of carry and shooting, I've never had any issues. I've converted other j-frames to hammerless DAO by changing hammers with no performance issues.

As for gunsmiths, any competent S&W smith can do it. It isn't overly complex.

Chris

I would go to Cylinder and Slide for what you want. Other good places too. Sand Burr might do it, Carl Sokol if he's still working.

The S&W Performance Center used to be a good choice when Vito was working on revolvers. I have no recent (less than five years ago) experience, but as the S&W factory custom shop, the Performance Center has resources no one else does.

Another good choice is Gemini Customs. Marc Morganti does excellent work.

Just tossing this out there for your consideration:

Have the hammer smoothed and reshaped to mitigate the "snag" factor and leave it in place. Single-action fire is a nice option to have even if you seldom use it. Use holster options made for hammerless J-Frames so the modified hammer will not be an issue.

Send it to the Performance Center for the action work as they have a package deal that includes shipping both ways.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/custome...on-gunsmithing
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I don't know if Jim's passing has altered the work being done down there, but I've sent multiple guns to Clark Custom down in Louisiana with excellent results.

I'd like to know how Clark Customs is doing now to. They're close enough to me I could drive mine over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I'd like to know how Clark Customs is doing now to. They're close enough to me I could drive mine over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just taking a peak at their website and it looks like they're still in business. I can ping Jec if you'd like, but things seem to be up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Other than modifying your grandfather's gun, there is no significant downside IMO (you're carrying a DA revolver, you should shoot it DA). There is the risk of the lower hammer mass not having enough inertia to pop primers, but as long as the hammer spring is strong, this isn't an issue. My personal carry j-frame has a bobbed, DA-only hammer (factory mod, not aftermarket). In 11 years of carry and shooting, I've never had any issues. I've converted other j-frames to hammerless DAO by changing hammers with no performance issues.

As for gunsmiths, any competent S&W smith can do it. It isn't overly complex.

Chris
    Good to know. I've had one experience with a well known local "gunsmith", who turned out to be incompetent, a liar, and an asshole, over a job that was as easy, if not easier than what I want done to the Smith, so I'm a bit wary of the local talent in general.

Thanks for the input guys!
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Were it mine, I would have my FLG bob the hammer - I have seen one he did for another customer, so I know he can drive a hacksaw, file, and Foredom - and not worry about the single action notch. If you don't try to cock it like John Henry Fitzgerald, it won't slip, will it?

User Tag List