Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handgun purchasing and backup copies

Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post
    I'm kind of a lurker but GJM suggested I participate more.

I am curious if anyone has factual information or something similar to explain what happens to a legal CPL holder's handgun buying abilities after they are engaged in a justified self defense incident. I have one G26 and have occasionally heard that backup copies are a good idea and that your abilities to purchase after a self defense incident can be impaired. Hoping you can help me learn about this topic.

Thanks!
    If charges are filed against you as a result of using your firearm you are likely in deep po ("DP") .

Once in DP you will likely be arrested then need to get out on bond.

To get out on bond you agree to the conditions the court sets - usually the court sets one of the conditions as "Do not possess, carry or have access to weapons."

You will either accept the court's conditions of your bond and be released or not.

If you accept the conditions of your release then violate them you can be charged with a separate offence.

Backups of guns are a good thing for dryfire, having a gun go out for service or having the ability to use one as a test platform for different triggers, sights and safety configurations.

But after a shooting in which you are charged?

You may not be ineligible to possess firearms under federal law, but if the court says "no guns for you" it is no guns for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I keep 200 identical copies of my carry gun in a safe. At work. Even have a concierge/delivery service that will put a new one in my hand before I leave the police station after a shooting.
    Excuse the interruption of serious discussion, but: This is really cool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    Unless you are prohibited by law from purchasing I just don't see how they can get away with this. So does a matter of policy over ride federal law, or is there a state law that allows this policy, in which case it is really a law? In reality if the shop does not issue because of a matter of policy, and you go to court to show federal law does allow for the transfer it will take considerably longer than 3 days.

I would imagine the scenario described by the OP is very limited. I can also see with an anti 2A administration how delays for various reasons could take longer in the future.

Why does it take 6 months for an NFA approval? Could we see a time in the future where it takes 6 months for a complete background check to be completed?
    In some parts of NJ it can take up to 19 months to get a firearm purchaser ID card or a handgun purchase permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    This is why many recommend three copies of the carry gun. All three tested and vetted. One to carry, one to train with (use it and abuse it) and one tested and vetted gun that is tucked away to replace the carry gun. In my house the spare is used as a "Bedroom Gun", which is always in the same location wether I'm there or not. That way adult family members know where they can always find a gun in the case of a break in.
    This is exactly what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    This is exactly what I do.
    Yup. Which reminds me, I need to pick up another Glock 17 Gen 4.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Yup. Which reminds me, I need to pick up another Glock 17 Gen 4.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I have 2x G17s and 2x G19s... need to get a third copy of at least one of them. Prolly the 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yeah, I have 2x G17s and 2x G19s... need to get a third copy of at least one of them. Prolly the 19.
    Glocks, gak! If you're going to insist on multiple copies of a gun or "platform" at least collect something interesting. You know, Nazi marked P-38s, 1911s in various calibers, CZ clones. Not Glocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    If charges are filed against you as a result of using your firearm you are likely in deep po ("DP") .

Once in DP you will likely be arrested then need to get out on bond.

To get out on bond you agree to the conditions the court sets - usually the court sets one of the conditions as "Do not possess, carry or have access to weapons."

You will either accept the court's conditions of your bond and be released or not.

If you accept the conditions of your release then violate them you can be charged with a separate offence.

Backups of guns are a good thing for dryfire, having a gun go out for service or having the ability to use one as a test platform for different triggers, sights and safety configurations.

But after a shooting in which you are charged?

You may not be ineligible to possess firearms under federal law, but if the court says "no guns for you" it is no guns for you.
    At least here, one of the questions the judge asks on arraignment day is "Do you have a (state) carry permit?" A "yes" prompts an order to surrender it to the deputy at the podium, or the court clerk if they don't have it with them. An order not to own or possess any firearms is a standard part of bond conditions for both DV and felony cases here. Doing so opens you up to charges of violation of bond conditions (10 days) and well as unlawful possession of a weapon (assuming none of the other enhancements apply -- prior felon and such -- a class A misdemeanor).

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    At least here, one of the questions the judge asks on arraignment day is "Do you have a (state) carry permit?" A "yes" prompts an order to surrender it to the deputy at the podium, or the court clerk if they don't have it with them. An order not to own or possess any firearms is a standard part of bond conditions for both DV and felony cases here. Doing so opens you up to charges of violation of bond conditions (10 days) and well as unlawful possession of a weapon (assuming none of the other enhancements apply -- prior felon and such -- a class A misdemeanor).
    There are state level wrinkles to this as well.

Example; in Illinois a resident must have a FOID card to legally buy and possess firearms and ammo thereof. Loss or suspension of the FOID equates to an instant prohibition whether the user has one or ten guns. IIRC New York State and NJ have similar stipulations.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List