Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun purchasing and backup copies

Handgun purchasing and backup copies

I'm kind of a lurker but GJM suggested I participate more.

I am curious if anyone has factual information or something similar to explain what happens to a legal CPL holder's handgun buying abilities after they are engaged in a justified self defense incident. I have one G26 and have occasionally heard that backup copies are a good idea and that your abilities to purchase after a self defense incident can be impaired. Hoping you can help me learn about this topic.

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but my basic understanding is that purchase impairment will depend heavily on the circumstances of the self defense incident in question. If charges are filed against you, you're likely to be unable to buy. If it's immediately found to be a "good" shoot, you likely wouldn't have any problems. There's a lot of gray area in between there. In the end, there are a lot of good arguments for owning a backup copy (or at least something similar, like a G19) that have nothing to do with guns going to the evidence room anyway; that's just one more incentive.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nucci View Post

I am curious if anyone has factual information or something similar to explain what happens to a legal CPL holder's handgun buying abilities after they are engaged in a justified self defense incident. I have one G26 and have occasionally heard that backup copies are a good idea and that your abilities to purchase after a self defense incident can be impaired. Hoping you can help me learn about this topic.

Thanks!
    Many around here advocate a carry gun and an identical training gun. That carry gun, after being confirmed as reliable, is seldom fired in comparison to the high round count training gun.

Some advocate a third gun for a variety of reasons. Those that are particularly safety conscious may use a third gun as a dedicate dry fire gun.

I haven't heard too many people say that they have a backup gun due to the difficulty of buying another after a self-defense incident. I think the idea is more that you want your gear to be set up in the same way and tested for reliability/function to your satisfaction. Buying a new gun off the shelf, adding parts/mods that you want, and running enough rounds through it to call it solid takes a good bit of time. So if your primary is seized, you may end up carrying an unvetted gun if you don't have a backup in place.

Just my $0.02
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Thanks!
    This scenario comes up more than most think. Firearms disabilities don't attach until you meet one of the disabling criteria. Are you under information/indictment or been convicted of a crime with a qualifying penalty, or a fugitive?
    Last edited by ST911; 10-18-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Every jurisdiction is a little different but I suspect if you end up being prohibited from buying a gun after a shooting... the judge will likely also order you to turn any other firearms over until the case is adjudicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    This scenario comes up more than most think. Firearms disabilities don't attach until you meet one of the disabling criteria. Are you under information/indictment or been convicted of a crime with a qualifying penalty, or a fugitive?
    That may be technically true but there's also the possibility of a background check coming back as "delayed." In which case, federal law allows for the transfer after three business days have elapsed if there's no response from NICS. Many shops as a matter of policy will not transfer a firearm until a "proceed" is issued, to play it safe. Something to consider.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    That may be technically true but there's also the possibility of a background check coming back as "delayed." In which case, federal law allows for the transfer after three business days have elapsed if there's no response from NICS. Many shops as a matter of policy will not transfer a firearm until a "proceed" is issued, to play it safe. Something to consider.
    Unless you are prohibited by law from purchasing I just don't see how they can get away with this. So does a matter of policy over ride federal law, or is there a state law that allows this policy, in which case it is really a law? In reality if the shop does not issue because of a matter of policy, and you go to court to show federal law does allow for the transfer it will take considerably longer than 3 days.

I would imagine the scenario described by the OP is very limited. I can also see with an anti 2A administration how delays for various reasons could take longer in the future.

Why does it take 6 months for an NFA approval? Could we see a time in the future where it takes 6 months for a complete background check to be completed?

The concept of having a backup copy of your carry gun is more centered around the concept of having a vetted duplicate of the gun you carry and train with. if you are involved in a shooting, you will have a lot on your plate to deal with. While you're legal ability to purchase a new gun may not be effected immediately after the incident, will you have time to run out and purchase a new gun? Will the gun actually be in stock at your favorite dealer? If you are able to purchase the new gun, do you have the time to go out and shoot the new gun enough to ensure it's reliability? There's a strong possibility that the answer to all of these questions will be no.

Remember that no matter how evil the person you shot may have actually been, they still have family and friends that may have issues with your decision making process. And they may want to find you and express their opinion in a physical manner.

This is why many recommend three copies of the carry gun. All three tested and vetted. One to carry, one to train with (use it and abuse it) and one tested and vetted gun that is tucked away to replace the carry gun. In my house the spare is used as a "Bedroom Gun", which is always in the same location wether I'm there or not. That way adult family members know where they can always find a gun in the case of a break in.

Thanks!
    A lot depends on where you live. Here in Pennsylvania the local county sheriff has a lot to say about what happens to both your LTCF, and your gun(s) after a gun-related and/or shooting incident of any kind.

As for owning two exact copies of an EDC pistol? Yeah, I do that too. Not so much to have an exact copy to carry if need be; but to, 'cannibalize' for parts in an 'LAEC' (life after an economic collapse) scenario. It should also go without saying that whatever EDC you use it should be vetted with, at least, 500 fired rounds and all of the magazines or speedloaders you will be using — Or even more fired rounds if the pistol you're carrying has a polymer frame.

User Tag List