Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: "West of the Mississippi" 2017 Foundational Pistol Class

Found another option: Mr Langdon is doing one of his two-day courses May 6-7 2017 in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma area.
    http://www.langdontactical.com/Class-Schedule.html

Ok City seems just north of DFW, and may be on our route in May as well.

Just another update: I heard back from Jerry Jones of Op Spec training: opspectraining.com.

His home range is in Paducah KY and he indicated he had several classes in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Found another option: Mr Langdon is doing one of his two-day courses May 6-7 2017 in the Oklahoma City Oklahoma area.
    http://www.langdontactical.com/Class-Schedule.html

Ok City seems just north of DFW, and may be on our route in May as well.
    Rich,

If it comes down to this class or Givens, I have to recommend taking the Langdon class. Mostly because Givens is based out of FL now and would generally be easier for you to catch any given year, and he does many classes a year. Ernest only does so many classes, and he has a lot to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Rich,

If it comes down to this class or Givens, I have to recommend taking the Langdon class. Mostly because Givens is based out of FL now and would generally be easier for you to catch any given year, and he does many classes a year. Ernest only does so many classes, and he has a lot to offer.
    Thanks. I agree both classes would be a great way for me to get some basic training. I appreciate the perspective because as a novice, it is hard to differentiate.

I was a little unsure I could keep up in Ernest's class, so I emailed him to ask his view.

To my surprise, he responded almost immediately. I described my background and training routine. Ernest indicated I would probably be fine in the class, and that it would come at about the right time in my training.

I was impressed a fairly major industry player would respond to a random guy on the internet. Class move.

Anyway, still on the hunt for options down the road in 2017, whether they be formal training sessions, meet ups at the range, or even tours of our Airstream Travel Trailer.

Ernest is a super-nice dude.

Interestingly, what he told you was almost exactly what I thought upon seeing you mention the class. You have basic gun handling down; you've had some holster work and a bit of refinement coaching; you have a willingness to practice and a solid mindset. IMO, you would get more than you would expect from a class like his.

You'd still get a lot out of Compative Pistol, but I don't think it would be as eye opening for you. To think about it longer-term, I think you get the most out of taking Langdons TPS course and then taking one of Givens CP2 or Dynamic Marksmanship for your next foray.

I'll drop the first little public hint here.

I'm in the process of creating a website to address this exact issue. It will list, including a map with pins, that consolidates the training schedules of solid, vetted, traveling instructors, such as Tom Givens, Southnarc, Langdon, etc, and regional instructors like HiTS, FPF Training (John Murphy) and Independence Training.

I am looking to release the first draft of the site in early January. (Soon TM) So far, I have the 2017 schedules of about 20 instructors (250 classes) listed around the country. I expect that to easily double or triple as time goes on.

Cheers,
    David

^^^David, that's fantastic.

(So is the scenery around Kalispel, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It will list, including a map with pins, that consolidates the training schedules of solid, vetted, traveling instructors, such as Tom Givens, Southnarc, Langdon, etc, and regional instructors like HiTS, FPF Training (John Murphy) and Independence Training.
    David, that is brilliant. It encourages training ("I know I should pay the mortgage, but I really need that class!") It will certainly expose the listed class and location to a wider audience, and very probably cause enrollments that would otherwise have been missed. It'll probably include links to sign up too, huh? I don't know how this can pay for itself -- charging the local sponsor a flat fee for the posting of that specific training class comes to mind. Maybe charging the trainer for an annual listing. Accepting appropriate advertising? In any event, I hope you do very well with this idea of yours. It's time has come.

Listings are broken down by category (handgun, carbine, medical, FoF, etc) and each instructor has their own sub-page with brief bios, class descriptions, website links and enrollment links, when available. I hope add ratings and review functionality in the future.

If the site gains traction, I'll figure out how to monetize it. I have a few ideas, including advertising and optional memberships. I may offer an event management service, similar to Eventbrite, to the instructors, if there is interest. The basic site listings will be completely free to students and instructors.

Cheers,
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Rich,

I've taken numerous courses from Tom, and I have taken Ernest's Tactical Pistol Skills class. Both are great classes.

Rich,

You used the word "foundational". Perhaps you should define that word as what it means to you. In my opinion (and connotation), Givens' Combative Pistol 1 class is THE foundational pistol class. It is the core of my skill set and philosophy with other classes being tweaks, fine tuning, and additional layers of knowledge. CP1 incorporates both philosophy of being armed and skills. Langdon's Tactical Pistol Skills was more geared towards pure skills. I do hope to take more courses from him though.

Also, while Givens typically offers more courses per year, he's also in his sixties.

----------

I'm watching this thread as I am also looking for something out west for this summer as well. I did a Farnam class last summer in Colorado, and jacket weather in July appeals to me.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List