Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frangible ammo

frangible ammo

Is anyone else issued frangible ammo? Are you satisified with its performance ? We just switched form federal HST to frangible and i am haveing a hard time with the choice. The reason we were given was we are the securtiy for 4 school districts and the schools feel it will be safer.

That is wrong. For so many reasons.

You need to find out who specifically made that switch and get them educated on ballistics ASAP.

If they're concerned about liability, y'all need to practice and qualify more often with tighter standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

To clarify, are you stating that your entire law enforcement agency as switched over to frangible ammunition for full-time use as duty rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by butler coach View Post
    Is anyone else issued frangible ammo? Are you satisified with its performance ? We just switched form federal HST to frangible and i am haveing a hard time with the choice. The reason we were given was we are the securtiy for 4 school districts and the schools feel it will be safer.
    Frang SUCKS for anything other than reducing the risk of ricochet / splashback when banging on steel. It's a moronic and grossly negligent decision.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I work for a private security company owned by former law enforcement officers. There are approximately 30 of us, who work anything from school district security to cooperate security. We were all switched from federal HST to frangible ammo for full time use. I am trying to push for more practice/ higher qualification standards but not winning the battle yet.

Frangible is a specific ammunition type to support certain live fire training evolutions.

While it is capable of being lethal, it is not a "good choice" for antipersonnel use nor is it really designed to be some type of "safer" option for real world interior walls.

It's a training round.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Frang SUCKS for anything other than reducing the risk of ricochet / splashback when banging on steel. It's a moronic and grossly negligent decision.

Key point being "on steel". Most frangible ammo won't break apart on softer surfaces, it's just like FMJ on people, sheetrock, hollow doors, and even thin sheet metal.

Most frangible comes loaded with "green" primers that have an unpredictable shelf life and IME a failure rate of 1 in 100 seems about the going rate.

You have a round that's less reliable, less effective (meaning more shots fired and more risk of misses), and penetrates more than needed through most mediums, seems legit.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

You guys are the best. I now feel great about the decision. Now time to try to make people change their minds.

Seems very shortsighted to me. Trade supposed liability on neighbors for liability to employees.

I have only had experience with two sorts of frangible bullet ammo. Sorry, I am not certain of the brands, it was some years ago.
    One was of simple shape, a truncated cone with very coarse rough copper surface. Sold for training, the main thing they were good for was practice clearing malfunctions.

The other was an ogival hollowpoint, very smooth and shiny, copper with a silvery tint.
    They fed, fired and functioned reliably. Shot at a steel plate, they pulverized as intended for close range training on hard targets.
    Shot into a soft target, standard Bubba's Backyard Water Jug, the nose pulverized in the first gallon, the base penetrated on for a couple more. Still not what I would want but it would be at least somewhat effective as a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post

I would harp on this particularly.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List