View Poll Results: How many holsters do you own?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • (1) I have as many holsters as Kanye West has expressions.

1 1.79%
  • (2-4) I have a couple options for summer and BBQ carry.

12 21.43%
  • (5-15) I really like holsters. No, I don't have a problem. Yes, I have two on order with JMCK… why?

26 46.43%
  • (15+) I have more holsters than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

17 30.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My HolsterQuest: An idiots guide on how NOT to find the right holster.

I have gone through lots of holsters trying to find what works best for me, and have plenty just sitting around that I don't need and would love to sell,LOL safariland als holsters, think a BCS level two owb, 2 eidolon holsters, and several more off top of my head. But I only now carry in jmck's new AIWB holster, and during winter one of his OWB holsters... so I had a little problem lol on buying holsters and yes I've placed orders and have forgotten all about them until I opened the box �� LOL

I've come full circle since my first holster purchase ~5 years ago. I started with a cheap PJ holster with a foldover clip for my first carry gun, a PPS. I carried it at 4:30 on a wilderness 5 stitch pretty consistently for the first year, then started "upgrading." I wasn't happy with how uncomfortable 4:30 was when seated or riding in a vehicle, or how low speed/high drag my gear was.
    After going through a couple different guns, a plethora of holsters, a few of the latest belts, and a handful of carry positions, I'm back to where I started. The same PPS, in the same cheap PJ holster, on the same wilderness belt; and a box full of dusty holsters. I had the clip modified to a closed loop after the holster came out with the gun on the draw a few times, and now carry at 3:00.
    I learned a lot along the way and 3:00 is the best compromise for me so far. Compared to 4:30, it's less susceptible to printing when bending over and acceptably comfortable while driving. AIWB was a no go; even with a JMCK aiwb it looks like I have a unilateral Budweiser tumor.
    Next move will be up in size, to a G19. I will be ordering some version of the IWB3 from JM for the glock. I was impressed with Tonys work on the aiwb that sits in my holster box. I have one of his OWBs for every gun I own now for range and class work.
    Some PPS holsters may show up in the Karma section soon
    Last edited by Mnaylo3; 10-19-2016 at 12:12 AM.

Started with a J-frame in a nylon POS, went to a Galco summer comfort which was NOT comfortable and had huge belt loops that printed. Then I started working at a gun store and joined gun-of-the-month club and racked up multiple Glock (3), SIG (5), 1911 (1), Kahr (1), Walther (3), L-frame (1) CZ (5) and Beretta (2) holsters. Maybe some more that I can't even remember off the top of my head anymore. Since transitioning to AIWB from strong side OWB I've tried four different AIWBs and now I'm happy with my Beretta 92D Centurion in an Armiger Solutions (supporting business!). My ex even had 5 different carry systems for her P238. And I see buying an AIWB for my recently acquired J-frame, there is no end to this madness.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I started with custom leather holsters from day one, early 1990's. And boy, have I burned through a fortune for this! I always had jobs where I would get issued some holster (yes, including the BH SLURPA holster), so there were little leeway back then. Sometimes I could sneak in an old-school Blade-Tech holster, but usually I was stuck with was on the menu. When I went from uniform to plain clothes I managed to get away with using private (more concealable) holsters 99% of the time. It helps that I run Glocks both at work at at home. I don't have the same holster OCD for my only SIG!
    Unless I have to go full Tactical Dress Up Party, where I will carry a level 2 Safariland holster on a '1/2 drop leg' set up, I will typically wear IWB carry 95% of the time. Mostly AIWB since 2007. By now (in 2016), I have gotten rid of all my leather holster except for an old beat up Milt Sparks Summer Special, and a Kramer IWB#3. I run mostly Raven Concealment or PHLster products nowadays. After some sorting and bringing better Karma by giving stuff away, my holster/mag carrier collection is down to two plastic storage bins. And...I just ordered the Cherry Tactical Below the Waist Band Carry holster. I need to check its viability for some NPE.

We need a holster garage sale section. I think its been discussed as a lend/lease holster library idea also, for those wanting to try something.

So, anyone have a Summer Special for a 4" K frame (mod 19)?

Decent open carry leather belt holster for 6" K frame?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnaylo3 View Post
    I've come full circle since my first holster purchase ~5 years ago. I started with a cheap PJ holster with a foldover clip for my first carry gun, a PPS. I carried it at 4:30 on a wilderness 5 stitch pretty consistently for the first year, then started "upgrading." I wasn't happy with how uncomfortable 4:30 was when seated or riding in a vehicle, or how low speed/high drag my gear was.
    After going through a couple different guns, a plethora of holsters, a few of the latest belts, and a handful of carry positions, I'm back to where I started. The same PPS, in the same cheap PJ holster, on the same wilderness belt; and a box full of dusty holsters. I had the clip modified to a closed loop after the holster came out with the gun on the draw a few times, and now carry at 3:00.
    I learned a lot along the way and 3:00 is the best compromise for me so far. Compared to 4:30, it's less susceptible to printing when bending over and acceptably comfortable while driving. AIWB was a no go; even with a JMCK aiwb it looks like I have a unilateral Budweiser tumor.
    Next move will be up in size, to a G19. I will be ordering some version of the IWB3 from JM for the glock. I was impressed with Tonys work on the aiwb that sits in my holster box. I have one of his OWBs for every gun I own now for range and class work.
    Some PPS holsters may show up in the Karma section soon
    Your experiences are similar to the ones that caused me to settle on 3:30 carry. In front of the hip made me look like I had a gut. Too far back was uncomfortable and printed badly when I bent at the waist. Too far forward and it printed to the side. 3:30 is just far enough back to take advantage of a natural hollow while not being far enough back to be uncomfortable or print when I bend at the waist.

Mine could be titled "How to Accidentally Find the Right Holster on the First Try."

A member on another forum bought a light for his Kahr CW9 and posted three holsters for sale. A Sticky Pocket Holster, a PJ Kydex Holster, and a Cry Havoc Grim AIWB Holster. He wanted $10, $20, and $20, respectively. I asked how much for all three. He responded $40, I countered $30, and he agreed. I thought the PJ might be handy for quick trips out and about, and figured the others would just go in a drawer. Turns out, I love AIWB, so the Cry Havoc Grim has become my EDC. Gave the Sticky away and the PJ Holster is gathering dust.

User Tag List