View Poll Results: How many holsters do you own?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • (1) I have as many holsters as Kanye West has expressions.

1 1.79%
  • (2-4) I have a couple options for summer and BBQ carry.

12 21.43%
  • (5-15) I really like holsters. No, I don't have a problem. Yes, I have two on order with JMCK… why?

26 46.43%
  • (15+) I have more holsters than Imelda Marcos had shoes.

17 30.36%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My HolsterQuest: An idiots guide on how NOT to find the right holster.

Realistically, all I need is a JMCK AIWB holster & AIWB mag pouch for EDC and then a Safariland 6378 & Bladetech dual mag pouch for gaming/training courses.

Problem is, like you, I always seem to look for a better widget and have bins full of holsters. Some are real pretty leather ones too, that I wear once or twice a year when I want to show them off to friends. It's a problem..

I have a Rubbermaid bin full of them, but about 3-5 per pistol. Most of them fall into the category that Abninfantry described - some are repeats, some are less-than-ideal, but most fill a specific role not repeated by others.

The mistakes I wouldn't repeat:
    - the occasional purchase of soft nylon
    - not thoroughly researching a maker before purchasing - I'm much more picky about who I'll spend money with now.

I've also learned to be a lot more discriminating regarding who I take recommendations from. Some folks will rave all day and night about a holster, so I decide to give it a shot only to find out that their definition of quality is a bit different from mine. I don't like to be a holster snob, but when there's a noticeable difference in quality but not in price...

Site Supporter
    I have found that the only holster I need for anything too big to pocket carry is a Kydex IWB holster, plus a fanny pack to use while exercising or doing something else likely to make me sweat all over the holster. Add a pocket holster for small enough guns, and add an ankle holster for something I intend to carry as a BUG.

I used to use shoulder holsters frequently but have not worn one since 2004. The need to wear a tuxedo (with no belt) at an upcoming formal event makes me glad I still have some good shoulder holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

One of my biggest regrets is selling holsters with guns.
    I had and used a Solo shoulder rig and a McDaniel II IWB from Sam Andrews with a K40 I used to have. They got traded with the gun when I swapped to a Glock 27.
    Guess who, a few years down the road, now has a K9 and a CW9, and who wishes he still had a couple of awesome pieces of leather?
    I think I'll take the OP up on that drink now.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 10-18-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

All kydex and a maximum of 3 per pistol type: IWB, OWB, and non-dominant side just in case.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've bought 6 holsters in my lifetime, and 4 gun belts; I still use 4 of the holsters, and 3 of the belts. Some of y'all motherfuckers have problems; reminds me of one of my good friends that was always buying a holster, having shit show up at his doorstep and be like "the Hell is this... oh yeah, I ordered this 4 months ago".

Holsters (in order of being bought):
    • RCS Phantom for H&K HK45 & Surefire X400 (gone)
    • RCS Phantom for H&K P30LS & Surefire X400, modded with foam wedges (no longer used)
    • Safariland 6004 for H&K P30L & Insight M3X/M6X, modded for RMR, Cordura wrapped
    • RCS Phantom for H&K P30LS, Surefire X400U, suppressor height sights, and RMR, modded with foam wedges
    • RCS Phantom for H&K P30LS, Surefire X400U, suppressor height sights, RMR, and threaded barrel, modded with foam wedges
    • JRC customized SSA for H&K P30LS, Surefire X400U, suppressor height sights, RMR, and threaded barrel

Belts (in order of being bought):
    • The Wilderness Instructor Belt Titanitum, 5 stitch
    • Ares Gear Ranger Belt
    • Beltman Horsehide 1.25" (no longer used)
    • JRC custom belt
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 10-18-2016 at 12:24 PM.

My HolsterQuest: An idiots guide on how NOT to find the right holster.

Awesome thread. Subscribed.

And: It's better for identifying potential surplus gear from you guys than sifting through GJM's dumpster at night in a Bear suit.

Safer too.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-18-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    You are not bought too many holsters until ones show up in the mail with no memory of ordering them.

I don't keep multiple holsters. I try and then sell-off if I don't like.

My first holster was the Crossbreed Supertuck (!) for 4 o'clock carry. I sold it once I realized that it was like wearing a blanket on my hip and, worse, I was muzzling all creation during the draw and re-holster at the range.

Next holster was a Silent Thunder for 4 o-clock carry. Nicely made and fairly stable, but same issue as with first holster.

Next holster was a no-name leather pancake/belt slide. Didn't fit or wear well.

Next holster was a JMCK for AIWB, and it changed my world. Sold it only once I'd sold my M&P.

Current holster is a JRC Leather AIWB set up, which I continue to use with pride & comfort after buying and not being able to sell-off an Off The Grid Concepts AIWB holster that I dislike.

I always think I have what I need holster wise, but then Tom comes out with something cool and I get it.

I think I only have 8-10 holsters (not including VGs). I only really use the DSG "gen 5" G34 holster, G43 clip on, and BOSS blade tech anymore.

Two of my holsters (Dale Fricke Archangel, and Eidolon) are religated to ECQC stuff.

User Tag List