Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR help –*what's the smart way to go?

This is really going to be dependent upon use. I have a couple lowers that are non NFA, one I use as a rifle configuration, and the other setup as a pistol lower. I then have several sbr lowers. I have different parts on different lowers to accomplish what I designated that gun to be for. For example one of my sbr lowers is setup with a LAW folder for off body carry. No need for the folder to be on the 16" gun. The pistol lower is setup so I can take my short uppers out of state with me, if I don't get the 5320.20 back in time.

I would suggest doing a separate lower, toss in a lpk and make sure things work properly, then file for that lower. After that its easy to get a factory assembled upper and be on your way. Also in the meantime of waiting for your stamp you can get an upper and setup the lower in pistol form to shoot it. Going with a factory sbr its going to sit in your dealer's safe for 8 months.

Build it as a pistol first so you can shoot it and work out the kinks
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

In that order.

It's a good idea to assemble the lower before you form 1 it in case there is anything out of spec.
    Agreed.

I've done 3 and 4.

God Bless,

Brandon

I have to admit, the whole sbr thing seems like more hassle than it is worth. I have gone the pinned muzzle route in the past, though only for the 14.5 size uppers, which I generally prefer. I have a pistol lower, but don't actually ever use it, since it kind of defeats the purpose for me. I could see an sbr for a 9" 300blk, but otherwise, it seems to limiting to me. My work gun is an 11.5, and it is nice enough, but 14.5 seems better to me for most anything a civilian might need the gun for, which is where I'm at when travelling off duty.

Anyway, not trying to do anything but offer an alternative approach. I have cans, so I'm not adverse to nfa, but nfa is much more limiting in my mind with sbr issues.

My NFA lower will end up being a host for a 9" 300 BO. Those are fun little guns, especially suppressed. Hoping a 12.5 5.56 rifle will be a nice compromise between being handy and still having decent ballistics.

These will mostly be fun guns that will generally run suppressed. From my (limited) experience with SBRs, I think I'll enjoy them.

14.5" frustrates me because I have more than one brand of can.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    #firstworld problems

��

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I do not believe that is correct.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2012/12/1...hotgun-sbrsbs/

https://www.arsenalattorneys.com/fir...el-rifles-sbrs

The ATF likes for you to notify them if you permanently change the configuration so that they can update their records, but AFAIK there is no legal requirement to do so (unless you are making it back into a non-SBR and want it removed from the registry).

I'm not a lawyer, do what you want.
    You are correct. An SBR is an SBR is an SBR. They LIKE to be notified of PERMANENT configuration changes (you sold the 9" upper, etc.), but there is no requirement by the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Should have stayed away from cans with proprietary parts
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Should have stayed away from cans with proprietary parts
    I'm not sure I understand what point you are making.

Can you explain your thoughts further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List