Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBR help –*what's the smart way to go?

SBR help –*what's the smart way to go?

Currently I own a 16" carbine. I've been very happy with it and have put thousands of rounds through it without any issues. I'd set like to set up an identical 12.5" SBR that will eventually house a silencer and a 9" 300BLK upper. I'd prefer to purchase a factory SBR but unfortunately cost is a factor now.

Here are the options I'm considering –*all will done as an individual purchase.

1. Get my existing 16" lower registered as an SBR. Down the road buy my NFA upper, and then a replacement lower for my 16" upper. ($200?)
    2. Purchase a stripped lower and have it registered as an SBR. Worry about an LPK and NFA upper later on. ($90+$200)
    3. Purchase a complete lower and have it registered as an SBR. Get the NFA upper when funds permit. ($375+$200)
    4. Just get the factory SBR. ($1200+$200)

Option 1 seems to be the most cost-effective and easiest but I don't want to go that route if there are any potential pitfalls –*like not being able to use my engraved lower while waiting on my stamp (is that even an issue?). Is there anything I'm overlooking or other option I should be considering, especially in light of the coming election?

Not an NFA expert, when you're completing your paperwork you've got to give a length of the rifle. If you're eventually going to go with a 9" 300BLK upper, that's the rifle length that you want on your paperwork. You can go longer without new paperwork, but not shorter.

Yeah that is my understanding, appreciate the note.

I also apologize in advance top the general board as I know there is a ton of "How to NFA" info out there, but from my perspective there's SO MUCH out there, I have difficulty separating the BS from good info. Plus I'm pretty ADD when it comes to staying on top of constantly morphing regulations. Just trying to confirm that, in fact, SBR'ing my current lower is indeed the cheapest, easiest way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jc000; 10-17-2016 at 11:58 AM.

From my own experience-

It's easier to make an SBR than it is to buy a factory SBR. It takes about 8 weeks to transfer the SBR between Class III dealers. It's much faster to start with a standard rifle/handgun/receiver and engrave the receiver or barrel.

I bought a stripped lower and built my shorty as a pistol so I could shoot the upper and work out the kinks- which turned out to be a good idea. I had an extra lower which I had engraved and will be registering as an SBR when my firearms budget recovers sufficiently from a few recent acquisitions.

I have purchased a factory made SBR. That's how I found out about the 8 week time frame when transferring an NFA item between dealers
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter

In that order.

It's a good idea to assemble the lower before you form 1 it in case there is anything out of spec.

John,

Option 1 in my opinion.

It's a known, proper functioning lower that drops mags free, correct?

Provided it's a quality manufacturer that's what I'd SBR.

Option 4 is solid as well. Buy a quality complete lower. Run it on your existing 16" and make sure mags drop. Then SBR it if it's GTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCM, do you mind me asking why #1 is so far down the list? PM is fine if not worth rehashing on the board. Appreciate the thoughts about assembling the lower.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    HCM, do you mind me asking why #1 is so far down the list? PM is fine if not worth rehashing on the board. Appreciate the thoughts about assembling the lower.
    Because your title 1 lower, your only AR lower now becomes an NFA item - I prefer to keep those worlds separate. NFA is not a cheap game and a lower is a cheap investment, at least at this time. A decent lower will like be the same or less than your trust and stamp. After the election who knows what price and/ or availability will be.

I vote 3. Use the new lower with your 16" upper and mags. If it's all good, engrave and then send in the paperwork.

Here is option 5 - Cheap Factory SBR. Do not think I am pimping this whatsoever:
    http://aeroprecisionusa.com/oem-sbr-8-300-blackout.html

... much better to have 2 functional lowers than an SBR sitting somewhere you cant even function check for at least 6-8 months.

Option 1. There are no pitfalls. I have a 12.5" and I'd probably get an 11.5" if I was to do it again only because of how I transport it.

It is an SBR with a <16" upper attached. With the 16" upper on there it's just like any other rifle ie. no longer an SBR and can travel out of state with it.

User Tag List