Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife for a kid

Izula officially on want list, thanks!

Looks like a perfect fixed blade for Carhartt R side leg pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    A couple years later she was using Moras to help field dress her first deer:...

...The hunting trips provide lots of skill building lesson opportunities.
    Hope you realize that the available pool of prospective husbands for your girls is going to be very small. All the average boys are going to seem pretty plain vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    JC, picked out a couple of knives for your son.

The Izula we already discussed and I think it will make a useful all around knife for him. Good in the woods and for general cutting tasks. Tough and pretty much unbreakable. Might be a fun project for you both to work on wrapping the grip.

The second knife is a small, single blade Case lockback which is no longer made. I picked it up some years ago from an online vendor that still had a few pieces of old stock left in his inventory. The steel is chrome vanadium and the covers synthetic yellow like some of the knives my grandfather would give me when I was a pup. He'll have to learn to keep it clean and oiled to keep it from pitting. The lock is pretty strong and should help avoid accidental closure but of course good training to learn not to rely on locks is still paramount with any knife.

Here's a quick phone image of the two knives. I'll get 'em out to the post office mid week and hopefully you'll have 'em by the weekend.

I hope he'll be pleased with these two American made knives.

I love this place.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Lost River – every post of yours is a pleasure to read either through the general tone or the gorgeous photos you share. I will take your (and the previous) recommendations for the Mora seriously.

Thank you very much for the Kudos in regard to my daughter.

With that said, I am really not a "knife guy". I simply stick with good quality/practical tools that work. Obviously guys like BLUES would be a better source for knife knowledge.

BTW, huge Kudos to Blues for providing a kid with tools he can pass on to his own kids/grandkids some day! Super Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Hope you realize that the available pool of prospective husbands for your girls is going to be very small. All the average boys are going to seem pretty plain vanilla.

I simply want them to be self reliant, independent thinkers, of good moral character. If they have been taught how to think, instead of what to think, I hope the rest will fall into place, as it should.

I don't think I could ever convey in a thread post the appropriate gratitude for blues' incredible generosity. I will try with a simple "thank you". I had hoped that what I was able to get for my son would have some sort of sentimental component, and I don't think you could start much better than such a thoughtful expression of kindness like blues has shown here.

Pistol-forum.com is ridiculous. It's hard to believe the outstanding human spirit (for lack of a better term) on display here on a regular basis. I should really focus on being the best pistol-forum member I can be to live up to the high bar set by our staff, SMEs, and membership at large.

blues, one of my missions will be to somehow return your karmic positivity. If you are ever in the metro DC area, please let me know. Looking forward to sharing pics of the blades being put to good use!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I love this place.

Okie John
    I'll say. What an amazing community.

Site Supporter
    Jc000 - I think you got this covered.

I am a little late here but for children it is hard to pass up a Mora. That is the plan for my boys - they are only one so it might be a while. I made a comment to a relative the other day, my boys will have knives before they have a cell phone.

Thanks for the good thoughts...that's more reward than you know.

This was pretty much a no-brainer for me. I've loved knives since I was a kid of six or seven, especially since the first ones I ever received were from my maternal grandfather who meant the world to me. (He died when I was about 9 1/2 in the early 60's. I still think of him nearly every day.)

I've been using and collecting knives on and off during much of my life and nothing comes close to being able to gift one every now and again to someone just starting out...or who can't afford to buy one. You can't take 'em with you and selling them just doesn't provide nearly the satisfaction.

So, the truth is I'm happy to be able to give a youngster a couple of pieces that will hopefully have some personal meaning for him as they do for me and teach him that sharing our good fortune with others is its own reward.

Thank you guys for making my day and you JC for giving me the opportunity to do so.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Very nice gesture blues.

I started out my kids with a leatherman tool with a blade.

User Tag List