Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Knife for a kid

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    JC, picked out a couple of knives for your son.

The Izula we already discussed and I think it will make a useful all around knife for him. Good in the woods and for general cutting tasks. Tough and pretty much unbreakable. Might be a fun project for you both to work on wrapping the grip.

The second knife is a small, single blade Case lockback which is no longer made. I picked it up some years ago from an online vendor that still had a few pieces of old stock left in his inventory. The steel is chrome vanadium and the covers synthetic yellow like some of the knives my grandfather would give me when I was a pup. He'll have to learn to keep it clean and oiled to keep it from pitting. The lock is pretty strong and should help avoid accidental closure but of course good training to learn not to rely on locks is still paramount with any knife.

Here's a quick phone image of the two knives. I'll get 'em out to the post office mid week and hopefully you'll have 'em by the weekend.

I hope he'll be pleased with these two American made knives.
    Thank you for this. You're now a Site Supporter, might have to wait a bit and/or log out and log back in.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Sayoc01 View Post
    Guys,
    Blues will have tbl.taking pics.of his collection!! I don't know if any computor can handle "all"the pics.Blues is the only man i know that is friends with "all"the custom makers....they all know him.I'm not a maker....just an "old"friend...that could tell some stories about his generosity...but I won't!Great guy & friend!
    Jim
    Don't believe anything Jim says...he just has a crush on my wife. Seriously, Jim, thanks for the good words. (I've known Jim on and offline since the 90's and he's loyal to a fault and it's rare for him to come up with a bad word for anyone whether deserved or not. I'm proof.)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thank you for this. You're now a Site Supporter, might have to wait a bit and/or log out and log back in.
    Thanks, LL but I became a site supporter just before (as I recall) PFestivus. I had to have Tom re-do the "thin blue line" on my user name and I changed the "Site Supporter" appellation to "Guilty As Charged".

I very much appreciate the gesture, however. Very kind of you my friend.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

No worries, you're extended another year now at least
    #RESIST

No worries, you're extended another year now at least
    Thank you, sir. I'm honored. Truly.

Hammertime
    Great thread.

Just adding: My son had in Izula that he dang near batoned through a 12" log on a boy scout trip where there was limited wood. He managed to break the very tip, and rather than send it back, we just ground the back down slightly and it is still good to go. They are incredibly tough little knives.

Knife for a kid

Great thread. This is the reason I support PF with actual folding money.

blues, you are good peeps.

On topic: So one year, I put together and taught "Knife Safety" for our local Scouting University weekend. I had to practice teach a few Dens in my Pack before I taught the class to the adults.

I recall the gathering activity I gave them was to "Put on a bandaid - with only one hand". It was a hoot to see them all try this. I had a couple moms help out. A 1:1 ratio with 6-8 nine year olds, all getting their first "actual" pocket knife, was a big help in avoiding any bloodletting.

"Safety Circle", two handed closing, all stuff we practiced with a lot of patience. We used bars of ivory soap and tried to get them to carve a shape. Pretty easy, and washing hands afterwards was a snap lol.

In my four years as Cubmaster, I never had any of them need the bandaid.

Good Times.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-25-2016 at 02:56 PM.

So, it's Friday...a slow mail day for us ordinarily. I trudge on down the 4/10 of a mile to the mailbox on the county road only to find...what's this?...a letter! What the...who could this be from?

And then a smile that makes my day...

Proof positive that all is not lost in the world!!! (And that good parenting still counts for something.)

I've gotten back much more than I have given.

Thread of the year.
    #RESIST

Thread of the year.
    It's right up there, for sure. So excellent, in many ways.

User Tag List