Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revisiting "Beware The Man with One Gun"

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    There is no lasting benefit, if that is the effect. I imagine what the S&W team member was alluding to was the improved fundamentals from using the revolver.
    Totally agree. After about a month of solid dry and live practice on a particular trigger you're essentially honed to that trigger which would effectively negate the short term positive of going from Revolver to Glock.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Totally agree. After about a month of solid dry and live practice on a particular trigger you're essentially honed to that trigger which would effectively negate the short term positive of going from Revolver to Glock.
    This brings up an interesting point that I've been wrestling with.

When I switch back and forth between shootings TDA and SFA guns, I notice that if I'm getting pretty heavy in the dry fire regimen with the TDA, I tend to get on the trigger on an SFA earlier than I want unless I'm staying very conscious of the switch.

Not ND early or not pointed downrange early or anything of that sort. More like, earlier in the "mini press out" than I want to be for an SFA gun, though still not as early as I'd start the press on a TDA. This bothers me, because I keep thinking back to what Dagga Darryl always harps on, which is the ability to have enough trigger pull length to be able to consciously make a shoot decision and still be to be able to change your mind and get off the trigger of the situation changes in a split nanosecond. Which is not just a function of trigger pull length, but also of how early you begin the press.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Sure, I think the lasting benefit was definitely associated with being a guy who shot multiple guns in all kinds of matches all year long on an ongoing basis. It implies a totally different allocation of time and resources from what I'm able to pull off, but if you can swing it, shooting a ton rounds through a bunch of stuff all the time is going to get you to a place that I'm not going to reach putting ~5k rounds a year into IDPA SSP.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Sure, I think the lasting benefit was definitely associated with being a guy who shot multiple guns in all kinds of matches all year long on an ongoing basis. It implies a totally different allocation of time and resources from what I'm able to pull off, but if you can swing it, shooting a ton rounds through a bunch of stuff all the time is going to get you to a place that I'm not going to reach putting ~5k rounds a year into IDPA SSP.
    And yet, you're going to be orders of magnitude ahead of a guy who does <500 rounds/year through anything. I know a guy who has a 9mm and a .22 of some description, somewhere in a box in his garage. He hasn't seen them in years and hasn't shot them in more.

Sure, he's got a gun, but what good is it doing him? I think it doesn't matter much whether you're a one gun guy or a collector/accumulator, if you won't shoot. And there's a lot of territory between that and a guy who practices daily and shoots a match every weekend and hits a training class once a quarter.

For me, every time I go practice, I dedicate most of my serious time to the "one gun" first. That said, I do shoot others for "fun"... I think sometimes we might forget shooting for plain old enjoyment.

It's a big question that probably deserves a more thoughtful answer, but hey, this is the internet, so boom goes the dynamite!

Upon further reflection, I don't think the weight vest (or hitting yourself in the head) analogy works, because this isn't excercise, it's skill development. The whole The Talent Code Myelination of the axons of your nerve cells thing. If that's the framework, think about how you'd "chunk" different subsets of shooting skill like sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, and follow through as though you were designing a resistance circuit at the gym. Your trigger pull machine might look a lot more like a DA revolver trigger in order to give you more trigger to practice managing, and your sight allignment excercise might be a lot more like NRA smallbore where you're slung up prone in a shooting jacket and taking everything else out of the equation as much as you can.

Now, in sports like Triathlon we can kind of know in the aggregate whether it's beter to spend more time training your swim, bike, or run, but if you do it, you'll probably agree that that's not really helpful in determining your own personal training plan. I'm going to say I think that's probably 10X more so with regard to pistol shooting. (What would a marathon training plan look like if you changed all the miles to rounds fired? What would the drills be?) Apologies for falling down the rabbit hole on this question, but I'm fascinated.

User Tag List