Page 90 of 97 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Question

A dear friend turned me on to these guys yesterday.
    Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio from Seattle, WA doing Curtis Mayfield’s “Moving On Up”.

This band is amazingly tight and they are clearly having a blast.

Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-08-2023 at 10:08 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post

Reminded me of this. Hadn't seen it in a long time.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

I meant to post this the other day when I listened to it and thought wow. I've never really listened to it:

Far
    We've been traveling far
    Without a home
    But not without a star

Free
    Only want to be free
    We huddle close
    Hang on to a dream
    On the boats and on the planes
    They're coming to America
    Never looking back again

Home
    Don't it seem so far away
    Oh, we're traveling light today
    In the eye of the storm
    In the eye of the storm

Home
    To a new and a shiny place
    Make our bed and we'll say our grace
    Freedom's light burning warm
    Freedom's light burning warm
    Everywhere around the world

Every time that flag's unfurled
    Got a dream to take them there
    Got a dream they've come to share

Today, today
    Today, today, today

My country 'tis of thee (today)
    Sweet land of liberty (today)
    Of thee I sing (today)
    Of thee I sing

Today, today, today
    Today, today, (today, today)

And then this rolled up with his explanation:

Last edited by DDTSGM; 02-08-2023 at 11:01 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

This is an interesting cover of the classic song. Her voice gives an ethereal quality to the aching lyrical acceptance of, and submission to, death.

The entire album "Street Corner Talking" is pretty awesome.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Rick Beatto had a list of 20 greatest drum grooves that had a lot of “oh yeah that” going on.

Ignore Alien Orders

For those of us of a certain age, who are part of the Apple Music ecology, Joe Satriani’s ‘Surfing With the Alien’ has been released in Dolby Atmos. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much that remastering impacts some older albums.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Here’s a guy getting about as much music out of one voice and one guitar as possible. @Lex Luthier

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Here’s a guy getting about as much music out of one voice and one guitar as possible. @Lex Luthier

Wow. A new Guitarist From Another Planet. He pushes hard and sticks the landings, doesn't he?

Several thoughts.

1) I can see in my mind the late Michael Hedges watching this and thinking to himself "If I get another turn around the wheel as a guitarist, I'm gonna *have* to take some voice lessons..."

2) George Lowden probably suffers night sweats over that guitar's structural condition.

3) Bill Keith would be delighted at his banjo tuners being used that way.

4) I really like how he's pushing the pickup system into mild distortion, then easing up to let it ring clean.

He really does remind me of Hedges at his most adventurous, with far better tools at hand.

For those not exposed, there was a guy from Enid Oklahoma named Mike, who had some very interesting ideas about musical composition, and thought he should modify how he played his guitar in order to express them.

I attended an entire summer of Michael Hedges weekend shows at the New Varsity Theater in Palo Alto in 1984, including this one. Probably 20 performances overall, at $2 a pop.
    He kinda ruined my life, really. Worst $40 I've yet spent.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-26-2023 at 07:15 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Wow. A new Guitarist From Another Planet. He pushes hard and sticks the landings, doesn't he?

Several thoughts.

1) I can see in my mind the late Michael Hedges watching this and thinking to himself "If I get another turn around the wheel as a guitarist, I'm gonna *have* to take some voice lessons..."

2) George Lowden probably suffers night sweats over that guitar's structural condition.

3) Bill Keith would be delighted at his banjo tuners being used that way.

4) I really like how he's pushing the pickup system into mild distortion, then easing up to let it ring clean.

He really does remind me of Hedges at his most adventurous, with far better tools at hand.

For those not exposed, there was a guy from Enid Oklahoma named Mike, who had some very interesting ideas about musical composition, and thought he should modify how he played his guitar in order to express them.

I attended an entire summer of Michael Hedges weekend shows at the New Varsity Theater in Palo Alto in 1984, including this one. Probably 20 performances overall, at $2 a pop.
    He kinda ruined my life, really. Worst $40 I've yet spent.
    We can discuss Michael when we meet in meatspace. *Lots* to talk about there. Randy Lutge too. The varsity is where that whole label got its start.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List