Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

IDK if it’s been mentioned yet, but since this thread got bumped..
    For those fans of Sturges Simpson, particularly of you didn’t really care for his last “concept” album (which was basically and FU to his label a d the industry, if you didn’t already know), but even if you did, he released two new albums last year where he basically covers all his own stuff but in a more bluegrass style. They. Are. Amazing.

Cuttin Grass Vol 1 and Vol 2

Name:  FFD0F618-B19E-439F-B25A-53CC46EB3C4D.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  07D24D84-43A0-489F-AFB2-6A2AB3853806.jpeg
Views: 190
Size:  56.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I didn’t know until today the Aerosmith version was a cover.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The Kinks album Low Budget came out in 1979. This song, "Help Me Now I'm Falling," and others reflected the fuel shortages, inflation, and general malaise of the times (Iran hostage crisis). A really sucky time for our country. I remember sitting in line for hours one July 4th filling up two cars when gas rationing was in effect. The southeast US is currently seeing some of the same due to the pipeline hack.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

I've been doing allot of post punk and electronic stuff lately. Been really into boy harsher
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Heh. It kinda fits.

15-year-old me didn't think much of this tune. 50+ year old me knows how difficult it is to make anything musical out of that particular combination of harmonic distortion and sheer volume, let alone lay down a groove that effective. And all the while quoting Lightnin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker. (Both of whom appreciated the effort.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....o-SouthWest-US thread and it's drift into Dire Wolf cloning made me think of this particular cut:

An awful lot of my productive work has happened with that album as accompaniment.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I've been going back and listening to what was playing on the "oldies" station when I was younger. The same oldies station that came on the air playing '50s music is now playing 80s-early 90s but it's still an oldies station. This doesn't make sense. Unless....

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    15-year-old me didn't think much of this tune. 50+ year old me knows how difficult it is to make anything musical out of that particular combination of harmonic distortion and sheer volume, let alone lay down a groove that effective.
    The groove is the only thing that keeps it listenable for me. I heard it so much growing up that I got burned out on it years ago. It doesn't quite make this list of "Songs I'd give minutes off the end of my life to never hear again" (looking at you Freebird) but it's close.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    (looking at you Freebird)

And Stairway to Heaven.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List