Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Good stuff, LR.

These are our current local boys...

But when I was in high school, these guys lived a few blocks from me. Simon's brother played basketball with us down at the park. Garfunkel lived across the street from my old girlfriend.

Last edited by blues; 03-01-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Since things have swung around towards the country side has anyone else heard anything about Willie Nelson not doing real well health wise? It's gonna be a dark day here in Texas when he passes.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Since things have swung around towards the country side has anyone else heard anything about Willie Nelson not doing real well health wise? It's gonna be a dark day here in Texas when he passes.
    "Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"
    I haven't kept up with any recent news but if you believe the song he'll always be around and he'll be back again...

Got your redneck roots right here. The old lady is from Tulsa, so this kind of thing gets played a lot at the ranch.

While not quite in the same vein as the thread, if you haven't already I would strongly suggest checking out Sturgill Simpson.

"Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    My tastes run a bit different.

We have some local mountain boys who started a group years back called Reckless Kelly. They are now based out of Austin, but do a big "Braun Brothers Reunion" every year in Challis Idaho. Thousands of hick rock fans descend upon the little town in central ID for a big party and 3 days of music.

Reckless Kelly
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning.

Probably one of the best live performance groups I have ever seen.

The song is about motorcycles and redheads!

Sorry don't know how to embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlylarCRayI
    I like that version! Del McCoury did a great hard driving bluegrass take on this tune a few years back.

Here's the guy who wrote it:

Richard Thompson "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" Cambridge Folk Festival 2011

He's kind of a badass in a band setting, too. The kid playing rhythm guitar is RT's son Teddy, a good songwriter & musician in his own right.

(An instrument maker I know in California owns a 1952 Vincent BL; in his shop he has a picture of himself, his redheaded wife, and Richard Thompson all standing next to it, grinning ear-to-ear.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Paulie's theology[/video]
    Great clip. Paulie Walnuts does a lot of the light lifting of theology in the show:

The Sopranos is one of TV's greatest shows, in particular if it's viewed as a morality tale. Bishop Barron broke it down pretty well in 2007:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Thanks to Robbie Lawler for the reminder.

LL, I don't know where you grew up, but I grew up in south central pa. While growing up, there was a night club near Middletown (today you can see TMI from it) called the Raven. I met people from Md, VA, NJ, NY, Delaware - everyone who loved R&b. They had, every week, every r&b/Motown group that was making records. Everybody - Sam&Dave, Little Anthony ("Tears on My Pillow" just killed me!), the 4 Tops, Miracles, the Marvellettes, I could go on, but you get the idea. It was primarily for underage teens and had us in Heaven every Wednesday and Saturday night. If you were ever there, you'd remember it looked like a castle, sitting on a hill. It's still there today, I believe it's a home improvement type of business.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    paulie's cutting you off for good
    "When the organ needed a reed job..."

User Tag List