Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If we're swinging it around to country, I'll drop my two favorites, songs in the key of quia pulvis es:
    https://youtu.be/ERhhkjqDGsA
    https://youtu.be/JfBdMXhpQnU
    That's eerie, JAD. I was just now thinking about Gram Parsons...And funny anecdote...a few weeks ago a buddy came along for the ride when I had to go for a routine service on my 4Runner. I was telling him about a song I hadn't heard in forever and I couldn't for the life of me think of the song or the artist. I start describing the genre and the time frame and that the guy was no longer with us. My buddy looks at me and goes.."Gram Parsons" just as matter of fact as walking up to a bar and ordering up your favorite beer.

I like John Prine a lot too. Can we throw Emmylou Harris in as well? She tears at my heartstrings.

And one with her and Gram Parsons...

Last edited by blues; 03-01-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Blues, I will sit with you and listen to gram and drink coffee all damn day.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Blues, I will sit with you and listen to gram and drink coffee all damn day.
    Deal. Anytime you're in the neighborhood.

I hear all those folks on the station I mentioned above, as well as Lyle Lovett, Mark Knopfler, Guy Clark, and many others I rarely ever heard on normal radio. Its hard to listen to other stations after getting used to that stuff. And no commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I hear all those folks on the station I mentioned above, as well as Lyle Lovett, Mark Knopfler, Guy Clark, and many others I rarely ever heard on normal radio. Its hard to listen to other stations after getting used to that stuff. And no commercials.
    I've been fortunate enough over the years to be within range of some good public broadcasting sites that played excellent music of all types. I definitely have eclectic tastes and am happy to be so inclined.

Nowadays I listen to Spotify in the house and I can pick artists, genres or "radio stations" based upon artists I like at the drop of a hat. It's almost too damned easy. Well worth the $10 monthly subscription imho.
    Last edited by blues; 03-01-2017 at 02:52 PM.

While I'm pretty wired up generally, and rarely don't have at least one device in my hand, I have retreated to listening to music on vinyl. There is something purposeful about it.

If it's just background music, I let the kid pick from my iTunes collection, and that is often a wonder to behold.

While I'm pretty wired up generally, and rarely don't have at least one device in my hand, I have retreated to listening to music on vinyl. There is something purposeful about it.

If it's just background music, I let the kid pick from my iTunes collection, and that is often a wonder to behold.
    I gave away my turntable and vinyl collection when I moved from South FL to NC. I just didn't have the patience to get out the discwasher and go through the whole friggin' routine when I wanted to listen to my music. On the other hand I made some folks really happy and hopefully earned some points toward a few thousand less years spent wandering endlessly through purgatory.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I gave away my turntable and vinyl collection when I moved from South FL to NC. I just didn't have the patience to get out the discwasher and go through the whole friggin' routine when I wanted to listen to my music. On the other hand I made some folks really happy and hopefully earned some points toward a few thousand less years spent wandering endlessly through purgatory.
    This one's for you, JAD. Enjoy...

My tastes run a bit different.

We have some local mountain boys who started a group years back called Reckless Kelly. They are now based out of Austin, but do a big "Braun Brothers Reunion" every year in Challis Idaho. Thousands of hick rock fans descend upon the little town in central ID for a big party and 3 days of music.

Reckless Kelly
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning.

Probably one of the best live performance groups I have ever seen.

The song is about motorcycles and redheads!

Sorry don't know how to embed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlylarCRayI

More redneck roots showing:

The Outlaws.

Green Grass and High Tides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKbk_dQ8Mhg

There Goes Another Love Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ptavYnUBM

I was just listening to these guys today, music cranked in the old Land Cruiser.

User Tag List