Page 91 of 97 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    We can discuss Michael when we meet in meatspace. *Lots* to talk about there. Randy Lutge too. The varsity is where that whole label got its start.
    Once again, I think we've read each other's mail a time or two.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

For those not exposed, there was a guy from Enid Oklahoma named Mike, who had some very interesting ideas about musical composition, and thought he should modify how he played his guitar in order to express them.

I attended an entire summer of Michael Hedges weekend shows at the New Varsity Theater in Palo Alto in 1984, including this one. Probably 20 performances overall, at $2 a pop.
    He kinda ruined my life, really. Worst $40 I've yet spent.
    I only got to see him live once in iirc 1996 when he played a “side stage” at our big city wide music festival. I remember my mind being pretty blown. It’s still one of my favorite “let’s see what this dude is all about” concerts.

ETA: since this is a music thread

Last edited by Caballoflaco; 02-26-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I only got to see him live once in iirc 1996 when he played a “side stage” at our big city wide music festival. I remember my mind being pretty blown. It’s still one of my favorite “let’s see what this dude is all about” concerts.
    He blew a lot of folks away. Glad you were able to catch a live performance.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

It's been a long time since I've checked out what Danny Barnes has been up to, and then this showed up in my Youtube feed:

The guy can play banjo like no one else (I like him way better than Bela Fleck or most of the trad bluegrass folks) and has the strangest way of slipping in an incisive lyrical observation here and there.

One of my all-time favorite songs, and probably my favorite live rendition of it that I've yet heard.

But there's this one particular harbor
    So far, but yet so near
    Where I see the day
    When my hair's full of grey
    And I finally disappear
    BUT NOT YET!

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I think @Lex Luthier and @Totem Polar will find this amusing:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I had always thought that this song was a Strangler's original;

And then this showed up on my feed:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Ow, my feels.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List