Page 86 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

Jeff Beck variation, with possibly the best of his various backing bands so far.

And Joni Mitchell has an opinion (with Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias, and Michael Brecker)

Many consider Charles Mingus the greatest American Composer. Duke Eliington fans might disagree, but they're probably wrong. ;0

(of course, George Gershwin fans have it right, whichever way they decide.)
    Love me some Mingus.and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat is up there in my favorites along with II B.S.

no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Love me some Mingus.and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat is up there in my favorites along with II B.S.

@Half Moon

I knew you were a good man but now, well, I'm over the moon. Mingus is in my pantheon of jazz greats. (Monk, Mingus, Miles, Coltrane...you get it.)

I saw him perform at the Village Gate one Friday night in Greenwich Village back in the 70's. Sat up close and in awe. (Saw Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers there too.)

Makes me think of my dear departed jazz buddy Phil Schaap. (He wasn't with me at those performances, but I spent many a night with him at his home or at the West End enjoying the best in jazz.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Half Moon

I knew you were a good man but now, well, I'm over the moon. Mingus is in my pantheon of jazz greats. (Monk, Mingus, Miles, Coltrane...you get it.)

I saw him perform at the Village Gate one Friday night in Greenwich Village back in the 70's. Sat up close and in awe. (Saw Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers there too.)

Makes me think of my dear departed jazz buddy Phil Schaap. (He wasn't with me at those performances, but I spent many a night with him at his home or at the West End enjoying the best in jazz.)
    I'm jealous! Pretty much your whole list is:

(Except Miles. One of those musicians I can recognize the virtuosity but just don't feel the music...)

I won't second guess your taste, brother...but I have to believe if you revisit his catalog, especially the hard bop years...mid 50's to late 50's/early 60's...much of his work is sublime. That said, I don't love everything Mingus did...but the stuff that resonates, resonates deeply.

Just to throw a few other gems...

I won't second guess your taste, brother...but I have to believe if you revisit his catalog, especially the hard bop years...mid 50's to late 50's/early 60's...much of his work is sublime. That said, I don't love everything Mingus did...but the stuff that resonates, resonates deeply.

Just to throw a few other gems...

Finally got around to listening through these. Some awesome stuff there! How about some Maceo Parker being blusier than funkier:

@Half Moon

Here's one of my all-time favorite guys...the great Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson...I have a ton of his recordings.

This one is apropos for our times...I think you'll agree it's some great music.

@Half Moon

Here's one of my all-time favorite guys...the great Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson...I have a ton of his recordings.

This one is apropos for our times...I think you'll agree it's some great music.

Just quoted this to like it twice. A tip of the chapeau to you, sir.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just quoted this to like it twice. A tip of the chapeau to you, sir.
    And back at you, my friend. You're no slouch yourself.

A great live version of what is probably my favorite Jethro Tull song. They often have great lyrics coupled with great music, but this one takes the cake for me. You can feel the frustration of inevitability running all the way through it from start to finish.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

My generation's version of "Paint it Black"

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List