Page 67 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: I miss music like this

Site Supporter
    As a former guitar player, I appreciate all the great players around today. There are a bunch of men and women who have stunning technique and some of them even understand music. But after all these years Billy Gibbons remains my favorite guitar player.

Do yourself a favor and listen through to the end on this one. Blues rock as only ZZ Top can do:

Oh, and if you come away thinking "that's nothing... Gibbons doesn't even shred" you have totally missed the point.

I've found that the older I get, the more blues I like in my rock. That doesn't mean pure blues, but I like that bluesy undercurrent. Take this for example:

The best way I can describe it is "What if ZZ Top and Pink Floyd got really really high together and started watching anime?"

It's a solid album overall, with several stand-out tracks, but this one is probably the most balanced between the two styles.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I recently found these ladies, who seem to be hell bent on preserving some badass blues, but this one hits pretty hard despite being softer musically.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    As a former guitar player, I appreciate all the great players around today. There are a bunch of men and women who have stunning technique and some of them even understand music. But after all these years Billy Gibbons remains my favorite guitar player.

Do yourself a favor and listen through to the end on this one. Blues rock as only ZZ Top can do:
    Unfortunately for me, I heard of ZZ Top when they were doing pop stuff like Legs and they didn't appeal to me at all. But that one chord blues thing in LaGrange is pretty kick butt. I like the song that they based it on:

And I like Canned Heat's own one chord thing. One of the most underrated bands of the 60's, in my humble opinion. Alan Wilson is the man.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts, And men have lost their reason.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Unfortunately for me, I heard of ZZ Top when they were doing pop stuff like Legs and they didn't appeal to me at all. But that one chord blues thing in LaGrange is pretty kick butt.
    Yeah I definitely gravitate more to their bluesy, edgier stuff.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    More hillbilly shit for those who are into hillbilly shit:

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    More hillbilly shit for those who are into hillbilly shit:
    Good stuff. I didn't know hillbillies did man buns though. Too much Brawndo maybe?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation." - Ronald Reagan

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    Good stuff. I didn't know hillbillies did man buns though. Too much Brawndo maybe?
    Mullet evolution.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Here's a nice take on a rock classic by The Dave Rawlings Machine (AKA Gillian Welch with members of Old Crow Medicine Show and The Punch Brothers)

Yes, that is John Paul Jones on mandolin.

It turns out the girl he's singing about is Joni Mitchell (!)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Speaking of bluesy stuff, love me some church of misery.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

User Tag List