Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Glock grip angle

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ol' Slabsides USPs have a more or less straight grip, and I like them a lot better than the Spiderman variants. The large back straps just feel like Bubba taped a chunk of tennis ball to the middle of the grip.

Glocks do have the steeper angle, however the finger grooves but more so the hump on the backstrap can be problematic for certain shooters with varying hand and / or finger sizes. The type of grip can play a role also. As mentioned the G19/23 is different than the G17/22. Altering the grips makes them more "alike" and much more comfortable as well as it cuts down on the minor shooter inconsistencies from one to the other.

I have had the opportunity to see a wide range of shooters use a standard pistol and back to back with an altered pistol. Those who showed problems on a stock pistol, almost always had a noticeable improvement on an altered pistol. Some hand sizes and the removal of finger grooves and a backstrap reduction made for some dramatic differences.

The hump determines the angle of the backstrap and that of your wrist as you grasp the pistol. Georg Luger designed his pistol so the top of the shooter's wrist would be straight to help control recoil. The grip angle of the Glock was designed with the same idea in mind.

The grip angle of the 1911 sets the angle of the wrist closer to what it should be if you were to throw a jab. I've always preferred the grip angle of the 1911.

Other handguns that mimic the Luger grip angle include the High Standard Duramatic, Colt Woodsman and the ill fated Whitney Wolverine
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-18-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I don't like the hump on large frame Glocks, I don't like the finger grooves on the G19. I can live with the hump on a 17, and it doesn't make a difference to me on a 19 performance wise but it irks me slightly.

I find that universally, for me, an undercut to the trigger guard-grip area improves my comfort and grip security on all Glock models.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Supposedly, S&W spent $250K on ergonomics research when designing the M&P. Supposedly, the grip angle of the 1911 was found to be ideal for most folks. Outside of Glock, Luger, Lahti, Nambu and the Ruger Pistols, does any other major pistol have that angle?
    Revolvers like the K frames feel that way to me, as in Glock like grip angle, and revolvers are famous for "pointing" well according to dudes like Bill Jordan.

Just an observation.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Supposedly, S&W spent $250K on ergonomics research when designing the M&P. Supposedly, the grip angle of the 1911 was found to be ideal for most folks. Outside of Glock, Luger, Lahti, Nambu and the Ruger Pistols, does any other major pistol have that angle?
    A quarter mil on grip angle and when it gets time for a 9mm barrel they just say aw fuck it? Makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Glocks do have the steeper angle, however the finger grooves but more so the hump on the backstrap can be problematic for certain shooters with varying hand and / or finger sizes. The type of grip can play a role also. As mentioned the G19/23 is different than the G17/22. Altering the grips makes them more "alike" and much more comfortable as well as it cuts down on the minor shooter inconsistencies from one to the other.

I have had the opportunity to see a wide range of shooters use a standard pistol and back to back with an altered pistol. Those who showed problems on a stock pistol, almost always had a noticeable improvement on an altered pistol. Some hand sizes and the removal of finger grooves and a backstrap reduction made for some dramatic differences.
    Does one seem to be a more universal fit, the G19/G23 or G17/G22. Without modifying the frames, i.e. finger grooves and hump, does the "Average Joe" seem to work better with the G19/G23 or the G17/G22, or does it not make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The hump determines the angle of the backstrap and that of your wrist as you grasp the pistol. Georg Luger designed his pistol so the top of the shooter's wrist would be straight to help control recoil. The grip angle of the Glock was designed with the same idea in mind.

The grip angle of the 1911 sets the angle of the wrist closer to what it should be if you were to throw a jab. I've always preferred the grip angle of the 1911.

Other handguns that mimic the Luger grip angle include the High Standard Duramatic, Colt Woodsman and the ill fated Whitney Wolverine
    So there I was, in Hackathorn's class as he stood in front with a 1911 and a Glock demonstrating the difference.

He argues the 1911 is better, I prefer the Glock's angle.

Finally, to cement his point: "But everything the Luger-heads know about pistol shooting they learned from shooting people in a ditch!" (as he aims at an imaginary ditch near his feet)
    Last edited by JHC; 10-21-2016 at 06:53 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List