Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR build for early teen daughter

Site Supporter

AR build for early teen daughter

My oldest girl, currently 13yo, expressed an interest in having/shooting a rifle.

First, the background on us as shooters. I'm a recreational shooter, hunter, and revolver collector. I have no military background, do not compete, nor am I a serious benchrest shooter. I just like guns and shooting them.
    Daughter is your typical early teen girl, but does like to go to the range with her old man. She enjoys shooting the 22/45 Lite I set up and likes shooting my K38 "Target Masterpiece" with wadcutter loads. She's sensitive to noise though and won't touch my Glock (too loud according to her).

While we were perusing a gun show recently, she mentioned the ARs were neat and she wouldn't mind shooting/owning one. I like the idea because, with a 6-pos stock, it would fit both of us. FWIW, I built an AR right after the AWB Sunset and ran it for a couple thousand rounds before selling it when Obama was elected (for a nice profit, I might add). I also assembled an AR pistol earlier this year, but sold it before I got to the upper portion. I'm pretty comfortable with the assembly of an AR and feel competent at it. Fortuitously, I have a lower receiver already. I ordered a LPK the other day and it has now arrived. I thought this may be a good project for the two of us to work on together.

Ok, background aside...

I'm trying to decide on these items:
    chambering (.223/5.56 or 300BO) and buy completed upper or build from components.

Chambering-wise, I think the 300 would be less obnoxious to my daughter's ears. As a reloader with a stock of 30cal bullets on hand, I can go heavy subsonic to reduce the noise. However, .223 is nice and cheap (less than $7/20 at WM), to the extent I won't bother reloading. I have a threaded 308, so a suppressor could be in my future (not anytime soon though).

Buying a complete upper is simple, but I like the idea of shopping around for the exact components I want (or the best deals) and assembling it as parts come in. For example, I like Anderson's sporter upper. For our needs, we don't need dust shields, forward assists, etc. This would make for a simple gun with clean lines. Also, it would be an opportunity for her to see all of the components, how they work together, and gain a full understanding of how the rifle works.

One more thing, thoughts on Bear Creek barrels? I can't find any objective criticisms online. The few people who have them are happy. The naysayers seem to base their criticisms on price or on the build quality of complete rifles, without specific notes on machined parts. The prices are certainly attractive.

Thanks all,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    She's sensitive to noise though and won't touch my Glock (too loud according to her).
    What kind of hearing protection does she use at the range? I'm wondering if better ears (and doubling up with plugs and muffs) wouldn't solve that issue?

I'd agree with Tony, in that I'd first address the noise sensitivity concerns. Maybe an investment in some SureFire earplugs or something similar that provide excellent protection to start with, then combined with some full coverage over the ear muffs if more is needed.

before diving into a rifle for her, do you have any friends with one she can sample shoot? .223/5.56 can report quite substantially, and I'd hate to see you invest in something she won't shoot.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I'm somewhat sensitive to muzzle blast also. Carbines are particularly loud to me, to the point of not enjoying shooting them much. Ive been trying to lay hands on a Black River Tactical Covert Comp to try, which is supposed to reduce perceived muzzle blast to the shooter and those beside them. Havent received any reply to emails though.

A 22 conversion or dedicated 22 AR may be a good practice or starter item for her.
    Last edited by Malamute; 10-16-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    I would encourage electronic muffs with disposable foam plugs underneath. The disposable foam is the only ear plug Inhave ever had success with.

Your daughter's wants, needs, and preferences are likely to change as she gets older. In addition to the adjustable stock, consider features that make changing the configuration easy. A Picatinny rail gas block, for example, will provide multiple front sight options as well as a possible way to mount a light (assuming top and side rail sections) if her purpose turns more serious in the future. A handguard with good mounting options would also be a good idea, but balance this with comfort for her support hand. She may want shooting slings at times and carry slings at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would encourage electronic muffs with disposable foam plugs underneath. The disposable foam is the only ear plug Inhave ever had success with.

Your daughter's wants, needs, and preferences are likely to change as she gets older. In addition to the adjustable stock, consider features that make changing the configuration easy. A Picatinny rail gas block, for example, will provide multiple front sight options as well as a possible way to mount a light (assuming top and side rail sections) if her purpose turns more serious in the future. A handguard with good mounting options would also be a good idea, but balance this with comfort for her support hand. She may want shooting slings at times and carry slings at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd start with a .22; you can even get one in pink:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...lok-muddy-girl

Site Supporter
    Regarding hearing protection, she uses the silicone swimmer's plugs (the ones that are moldable like putty) and non-electric muffs. I've used this combo before and it's about the best protection you can get at any price point IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    before diving into a rifle for her, do you have any friends with one she can sample shoot? .223/5.56 can report quite substantially, and I'd hate to see you invest in something she won't shoot.
    None of my local friends have ARs. That was my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    A 22 conversion or dedicated 22 AR may be a good practice or starter item for her.
    I started out looking at dedicated 22lr ARs or 22lr conversions. Neither seemed a good financial investment (ie more than a dedicated non-AR 22lr rifle).

What are the options in a 22lr conversion (bolt/mag replacement, full upper, ???)?

That's why I thought the 300 would be a good idea since it should have less muzzle blast. I'm not opposed to a >16" barrel, but I do want it to remain handy for a kid-sized shooter.

Chris

What are the options in a 22lr conversion (bolt/mag replacement, full upper, ???)?
    I don't know whats on the market today. I have a Colt 22 conversion unit that replaces the bolt carrier. Its worked fine in the limited shooting ive done with it. I don't think they are common though.

Bargain basement AR builds are always trouble. You're asking for endless frustration chasing malfunctions and parts that don't fit quite right. Is that really the experience you want for your kid?

A $70 AR barrel is like a 50 cent cigar or $9 steak dinner, you know you're not going to be satisfied. And it's not like a real barrel costs that much more. Ballistic Advantage has a light profile 5.56 nitrided barrel for $170. Add $40 and they'll pin on a gas block for you.

Specifically, Bear Creek is a garbage company that ships garbage parts. Their reputation was so bad as Moore's Machine Co., that they had to pull a Todd Bailey and change names. No reason to do business with them.

I think with good ear protection and sticking with an A2 flash hider instead of a brake makes the 5.56 pleasant to shoot. I liked the linear compensator on my 10.5" .300, but I haven't tried one on a 5.56 yet.

Don't get me wrong, you can put together a perfectly good AR from parts and learn a lot while doing it, but putting together a mixmaster mutt of bottom dollar parts won't save you any money in the long run. Do it right the first time, or do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I'm somewhat sensitive to muzzle blast also. Carbines are particularly loud to me, to the point of not enjoying shooting them much. Ive been trying to lay hands on a Black River Tactical Covert Comp to try, which is supposed to reduce perceived muzzle blast to the shooter and those beside them. Havent received any reply to emails though.
    Tried again and made contact. Hopefully can try it out soon.

User Tag List