Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR build for early teen daughter

I've found my M&P 15-22 to be incredibly useful. It's friendly to new and younger shooters. Plus it gives me a practice gun I can shoot cheaply and at ranges that don't alliw full rifle caliberz.

Site Supporter
    The barrel and the bolt carrier group are the two places you want the best quality you can afford. Ballistic advantage, Faxon and Ranier all make reasonably priced, good quality barrels.

Re: noise - the cheap Foam ear plugs (when used properly) or custom molded plugs combined with good conventional ear muffs provide the best protection. Any sort of active hearing is going to compromise the Noise Reduction. A suppressor is a great idea. A modular 30 caliber suppressor like a Silencerco Omega will work just fine on a 5.56 or .300. A longer barrel like an 18" or 20" may help mitigate the perceived noise as well.

Re: .22 LR. I would just buy a S&W 15-22. Colt no longer makes or supports the .22 kit malamute mentioned. CMMG makes conversion kits and complete .22 uppers. I have one of their uppers. I had some problems initially but CMMG made good on it and I have been happy with it. That said, I bought the upper about 6 months before S&W came out with their 15-22. The upper costs more than the 15-22 and the 15-22 mags are so good boonie packer makes an adaptor to use them in guns with CMMG uppers and kits.

Site Supporter
    MP22: Not happening. If we wanted a rimfire, I'd just buy a 10/22 or model 60. Thing 1 liked the idea of a gun that could be changed just by swapping uppers.

Hearing Protection: We have that covered as well as possible.

Parts: Message received. I'll look at the names mentioned above.

What about caliber? 5.56 or 300? I don't have any hands-on with 300. I'm assuming it'll be less blasty, but would like a first-hand comparison.

Chris

The two of you should take a carbine class together in the very near future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    MP22: Not happening. If we wanted a rimfire, I'd just buy a 10/22 or model 60. Thing 1 liked the idea of a gun that could be changed just by swapping uppers.

Hearing Protection: We have that covered as well as possible.

Parts: Message received. I'll look at the names mentioned above.

What about caliber? 5.56 or 300? I don't have any hands-on with 300. I'm assuming it'll be less blasty, but would like a first-hand comparison.

Chris
    300 is les blasty, particularly with sub sonic. 300 is also significantly more expensive but if you reload and don't plan on high-volume shooting it should be doable.

300 blackout is at its best at ranges < 200 yards. You can shoot it much farther than that but it becomes a science project and the juice is not really worth the squeeze. 300 blackout was originally developed for use in short barrel A.R. carbines as a replacement for and improvement on the performance of suppressed 9 mm submachine-guns. It does really well in that role and has proven to be a good medium game hunting round, filling a similar niche to lever action 3030 carbines. if you want to shoot longer distances keep in mind the 300 blackout was never intended or developed to be a general-purpose service rifle round.

If you are looking to do target shooting out to about 100 yards, you might consider a 9 mm A.R. Ammo costs are reasonable, it is less blast than 5.56 there is slightly more felt recoil then a 556 because the guns are blowback but the reduced muzzle blast will more than make up for this.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-16-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Colt no longer makes or supports the .22 kit malamute mentioned...
    Would you happen to know if theres any other magazines that work with the Colt 22 conversion?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Would you happen to know if theres any other magazines that work with the Colt 22 conversion?
    This guy says the Black dog machine ( same as the CMMG and SIG 522) are supposed to work with the Colt kit but his sample of one did not work. It's worth noting black dog makes both plastic feed lip versions and steel feed lip versions. Since the cold kit uses steel feet… I would try that mag first.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/loosero...?client=safari

The thing that makes the Smith and Wesson 15–22 so awesome is the magazine. If the black dog mags are supposed to be compatible, Boonie Packer's conversion block Allowing the Smith & Wesson magazines to work in CM MG/black dog pattern guns would be the way to go.

Site Supporter
    I figured I would be loading subsonic once I got some brass accumulated. Our ranges only go out to 100yds, so no real need for long range capability. I did consider 9mm, but I can probably get "close enough" with handloads without the need for non-standard mags. Plus, if I get that 308 can, it'll be doubly useful (only have one 9mm and it doesn't have a threaded barrel).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Thread bump now that the rifle is completed and a few hundred rounds have been fired through it.

I ended up completing the gun with a Radical Firearms 16" 223/5.56 upper from Brownells. I went that route because, with Brownell's warranty, I was assured of good support if it turned out to be a dog. I added a Magpul STR stock for the improved cheekweld. I started out with the Cabelas house brand AR scope (1-4x24), but didn't like the reticle and ended up returning it. I replaced it with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. It was on sale and seems to get good reviews. So far, I've put roughly 400 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Most of that has been TulAmmo (not very accurate), but a third has been higher quality stuff from Federal, Hornady, and other domestic producers. With the 1:7 barrel, it does best with quality 75gr loads. The longest distance I've shot it at so far was 50yds and it was doing better than an inch with the 1-4x scope.

What does Thing 1 think? At first, she was hesitant because of the noise, but she finally worked up the courage to try it (no pressure from me!). After a couple shots, she got into it and would have burned up all my ammo if I didn't make her stop so I could get in a mag of some new stuff I bought (75gr Prvi Partizan).

Mission accomplished I'd say.

BTW, I really hate "standard" AR triggers, but didn't want to dump big bucks into a match unit, so I gave this a try with the understanding that if it didn't work, I wouldn't be any worse off than if I went straight to the higher end market:
    http://junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html

It works well. The trigger isn't lighter, but is much shorter and easier to manage.

Chris

Great to hear. No noise issues then?
    Join FPC

User Tag List