Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The very best 380 acp ammo for self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    My wife carries a G42 with HST's daily. My sister in law has a Glock 27 as her husband doesn't want her with anything less than a .40 cal... of course it's is in the console because she won't actually carry it. There is a time and place for everything.

I appreciate the comments on .380 ammo. Any feedback on the HST rounds in .380? I understand they don't perform like they do in service calibers, but are there any real negatives?
    Shallow penetration.

In my opinion, a Hydrashok would be a better choice if you must have JHP. The 380 Hydrashok tends to expand into the .44"-.48" or so range, which means it tends to penetrate around 10-12", which is deeper than most 380 JHPs. Yes, it's a hydrashok and will fail to expand with intermediate barriers.....but that's not really a problem in this context, given the other "responsible" choice is a FMJ.

I see no reason to use the HST over the Hydrashok in 380.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-02-2016 at 09:02 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've read that the 380 HST doesn't penetrate much too. It was kind of surprising considering what a great round it is in other calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I've read that the 380 HST doesn't penetrate much too. It was kind of surprising considering what a great round it is in other calibers.
    There's only so much you can do with the small case of the .380.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    (d) Despite the fact that I feel like I'm going to die most of the time
    Dude, that cracks me up.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    There's only so much you can do with the small case of the .380.
    I think it was Ellifritz who did the "one shot stop" study with all the different calibers. Anyway, I was surprised that there was that much data on one shot .380 shootings. I guess I had expected them to all be multiple shot events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have missed it in here, but what about the all copper, light weight, high velocity rounds for .380?

Quote Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
    I may have missed it in here, but what about the all copper, light weight, high velocity rounds for .380?
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self...llistic-tests/

WORST. AMMO. EVER.

While the Barnes TAC-XP bullet can work very well from 9mm Luger or larger cartridges, the lighter weight .380 expanding/fragmenting bullets have too little sectional density for adequate penetration. The various "Xtreme" bullets manufacted by Lehigh Defense appear to be essentially expensive FMJ.
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 11-03-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: invalid link

User Tag List