Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 9mm Case Split vertically in middle

What is your load? Rare, but this could be the problem as well.

In my experience, always double check the load data, and the loaded rounds (all the details: primer seating, OAL, crimp, powder dosage, etc.), then load a decent number to check velocity, pressure, function, etc. (...no more than 50-100). THEN reload the 1,000 rounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What is your load? Rare, but this could be the problem as well.

In my experience, always double check the load data, and the loaded rounds (all the details: primer seating, OAL, crimp, powder dosage, etc.), then load a decent number to check velocity, pressure, function, etc. (...no more than 50-100). THEN reload the 1,000 rounds or so.

Thanks. I have no problems reloading the 1000 rounds, but pulling them is going to be a PITA.

I'm going to get some factory rounds and run through the gun too - see if the same thing occurs. With any luck that won't be the case, and it will be a case failure - in which I'll try a different brand case to see if the same happens or not.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Starline is on sale at Midway right now.

I've tried putting some different rounds through it (including some a friend has made up with the same power factor settings with Winchester cases but bought at a different time), and no splits. Shot 60 rounds through it, not an issue.

Then put in 10 of my original rounds, and had 2 split cases come out.

I was able to see visible flash marks in the chamber - at different locations, so it seems as though the splits are occurring at random places (in the chamber), but similar locations on the case.

At this stage I'm going to have to put it down to either a bad load, or a bad batch of cases. I'm going to pull a few bullets and compare with my friends loads when we get the opportunity to catch up again just to confirm that the loads are fine, but at this stage I think it's safe to say it's a bad batch of cases.

I've tried contacting Winchester via their website. (Only gives a 255 character limit or something similar) - haven't heard back from them at this stage.

User Tag List