Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AIMING IS USELESS! Tips from TGO

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    First thing I've seen from Funker that was of interest, thanks... And very thought worthy.
    Agreed! I was honestly surprised to see Rob on the channel.

Fantastic 5 minute video. I wish I had seen this when I first started shooting.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I'm new to all this gun stuff, but could someone explain "TGO"?

Only thing I can come up with is "The Great One", but I'd be interested in the backstory.

It is definitely worth watching, though. I'm kind of glad because I do think the majority of any marginal improvement I've made in two or so years study is not to move the gun at the break.

I chalk that up to hundreds and hundreds of dry practice wall presses watching the front sight.

Looking at my targets early on, I was convinced my gun shot low and to the weak side. Same gun like a year later shot 70-80 scores on a B8 at 25 yards.

My problem these days is with my nearsightedness, I can only see the front sight clearly if I tilt my head so my bifocals come into focus. Or I use my full lens +1 safety glasses. Some days I kinda think I've reached the optical limit of my shooting ability and I am not likely to break my 25 yard high score (83-1X) anytime soon.

Anyway, good video, worth watching.

I approve this message. I've came to a similar conclusion. It's harder than it seems and at some point I think it's mentally harder than it is physically harder to do this. Dang you brain!!
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Only thing I can come up with is "The Great One", but I'd be interested in the backstory.

Name:  485574c48a60c7e0ed1c561553c068577d9e8c51175fe8c84d3e6d4244c4f14f.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  48.6 KB

I'm getting real sick of the clickbait titles from people online.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Rob is the greatest competition shooter ever, and likely the greatest pistol shooter ever. By far the best instructor I've ever had for technical shooting. I used to joke with him that I was offering Rob Leatham classes on the east coast (back when I lived there), and people were surprised when I showed up instead of him. I learned a ton about shooting and teaching from him.

Robbie laying down the truth. Awesome, awesome stuff. It's taken years to unlearn the marksmanship dogma my LE academy shoved down our thoughts. Aiming was always the priority. "Front sight, press! Front sight, press!" "You're hitting low. Stop jerking the trigger and focus on your front sight!"

If you've been through some formal training, you've probably been indoctrinated with the importance of sight alignment and sight picture ahead of all else, and then admonished with some version of the "Front sight, press!" mantra during live fire. In that same class, you were probably also shown the irrelevance of aiming with a drill where you purposefully misaligned the sights, pressed the trigger smoothly, and got acceptable hits.

So what were you supposed to learn from that combination of information? No wonder we are confused as new shooters.

Aiming is important, and it's both simple and easy. Improving trigger control will solve far more of your problems.

When I or a fellow shooter starts missing low left (for right handed shooter), it's time to remember what it feels like to "let the gun fire" instead of trying to "make it fire". Instead of yelling "front sight, press", just stop aiming. Point the gun at the berm, fire a few rounds, and observe the gun firing. Watch the casings and smoke come out. Watch the front sight move. Don't worry about where the rounds are landing. Just remember what it feels like to let the gun fire. If you're really struggling with anticipation, mix in some dummy rounds so you get a few surprise clicks.

Only after you remember how to let the gun go off should you go back to what you were working on before. Pressing the trigger without disturbing the sights has to come first. Nothing else matters if you can't do that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Oh man! I'm hosed. Years of training to unlearn. Never ever considered that a nice sloooowwww press ain't the same at my operating (ahem) speed.

Damn.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Just watched the video. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List