Thread: Eye Sprinting/ Visual Patience

Eye Sprinting/ Visual Patience

So, while shooting the drill of the week today I found myself really struggling with eye sprinting and visual patience. I realized what I was doing but was having a lot of trouble following through on my shots as well as getting a quick, refined sight picture. After the DOTW I did some dry fire just to work on focusing on the front site without recoil, didn't really help. I then went onto shooting some one-shot draws to a 3x5 at 7yds, slowly making sure I was following through and really resisting the urge to eye sprint - I ended up going through 85 rounds - felt pretty good about what I was seeing and doing. Then I tried to shoot some doubles and triples while ramping up the speed - train wreck - started loosing the front site and especially the eye sprinting again.

So... this isn't one of my usual issues - anybody got any advice to work on this annoying lack of visual patience and trouble picking up the site clearly?

This habit, like any other, will take more than a day to break. It might even take a few sessions before you can focus properly without fail while being deliberate. Keep drilling it. Mindful repetition. This is how we learn.

On some level of consciousness, you may not be aware of why you want to get a hard focus on your front sight, either. I would recommend writing, or typing, why this is important to shooting accurately and quickly. It might sound silly but it's worked for me on more than one occasion. Most recently I broke the habit of not looking at the seam in the magwell during a reload. I didn't think I had to to nail a good one, but I'm less consistent doing it.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Keep in mind that after you know where your gun hits during slow fire drills, all the info you need about shot placement is from the FS and shot calling. But, easier said than done. You need to focus completely on the FS so you still have focus on it durring the shot break. I find that if my eyes start sprinting back and forth from FS to target, I slow down and make certain I have a crystal clear focus on the FS as I slooowly add trigger pressure until the shot breaks and I truly get a surprise break. I have also found that I may be blinking, loosing the FS, and then checking the target to see where my sights were. When this happens I know I may be getting tired or have blinked. Dry fire and the http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill may help.
    Taking a break from social media.

Check this thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...4768#post34768

My post in that thread is largely how I would answer you in this one. If you can shift your visual focus on demand, then seeing the front sight at the earliest opportunity allowed by your presentation, and keeping your eyes focused on the front sight throughout the firing process, will become largely an act of will.

All great information above.

Although a novice, I alleviated eye sprint by minimizing the amount of feedback the target could provide, e.g. shooting the berm and to a lesser extent shooting at distance (my eyes find difficulty with .355 inch holes at 25 yards), and the constant repetition of 'front sight, row trigger'. It's a continual process.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List