Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Glock 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Are you using an aftermarket barrel or OEM Glock? Your loads look hot enough to be problematic with once-fired Glock brass. That's the only reason I'm leery of going with a Glock 10. Thanks.
    I haven’t done much with it recently, but when I was experimenting with 10mm, I switched to a Jarvis barrel in a Gen3 20. The stock barrel has typical “pregnant” brass even with the lighter loads.

you'd need to assess your accuracy and such, but...

I got into and out of Glock 20s a couple of times over the years. GJM has done a great job parsing out reliability in his quest for wilderness work and others have done the same for reliability. But Glock barrels always presented me with "smiles" from pressure. Both KKM (drop in) and a BarSto both provided a modicum more of accuracy with great reliably.

In the interests of experimentation I bought a KKM drop-in barrel in .40 then a Jarvis in .357 Sig, Both conversion barrels use factory .20 magazines with accuracy and reliability. What you need, of course, may vary.

Nothing against 10mm and G20s, but some thoughts:

1. Ballistically, 10mm strikes me as being pretty much similar to .357 magnum (not a bad thing at all-but if you already have a .357 magnum, an analysis point to step back and ascertain if you really need a 10mm);

2. I'm pretty pleased with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or Defenders as a back woods/wilderness load in my .45 ACP G21; similarly in .40 in my my Gen4 G22. GJM's epic thread have steered me into the Underwood Lehigh family as a very viable cartridge without the drame associated with some of the other boutique cartridge's anti-bear nuclear loads. My Gen3 G21 has been exceptionally reliable with any and every cartridge I've used in it over a 16+ year period.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Nothing against 10mm and G20s, but some thoughts:

1. Ballistically, 10mm strikes me as being pretty much similar to .357 magnum (not a bad thing at all-but if you already have a .357 magnum, an analysis point to step back and ascertain if you really need a 10mm);

2. I'm pretty pleased with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or Defenders as a back woods/wilderness load in my .45 ACP G21; similarly in .40 in my my Gen4 G22. GJM's epic thread have steered me into the Underwood Lehigh family as a very viable cartridge without the drame associated with some of the other boutique cartridge's anti-bear nuclear loads. My Gen3 G21 has been exceptionally reliable with any and every cartridge I've used in it over a 16+ year period.

Best, Jon
    I went back and forth on your point for years. I'd seen family members taking their 44Mag wheel guns with them when they traveled to AK to fish. Ultimately what I settled on was the following:

- I rarely ever train with revolvers. I train with, carry, and compete with Glocks 99.9% of the time.
    - Revolvers with enough power to save my skin from a large animal do not allow for quick follow up shots. A Glock in 10mm allows for very quick splits - even with Underwood ammo.
    - A revolver holds 5 - 8 rounds depending on size and caliber. With a flush fitting mag, a 10mm Glock has 16 rounds ready to go.
    - A Glock even in the large frame models is typically lighter for all day carry than a large frame revolver in 44Mag, 460, 500, etc.
    - If I head into town for an extended period, I can easily switch the Glock to Gold Dots or some other quality 2 legged load. I'm no Doc, but I imagine a 500S&W is still going to be overkill for a human with any ammo.

I've vetted my G40 longslide with the NDZ 22lb RSA over the last couple years. I don't have the round count handy, but have posted it before in these topics. The ammo I prefer is the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator in 140gr and/or the Federal Trophy Bonded JSP 180gr. This is actually the one time I'd probably "candy cane" a mag - using those two loads.

Obviously everyone has to figure out what works best for their circumstances. But for me a Glock beats a revolver every time no matter what loads the revolver sends towards the threat. Of course all this is worst case and assumes I'm not within reach of a long gun. And I agree with you about the Underwood. I think they make any service pistol better at dealing with large game in any caliber. And while I 100% trust @GJM and his 45 Super concept... I believe my being able to stay with the Glock family of weapons is more beneficial to me than using a different gun/trigger while under extreme stress / filling my britches.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I went back and forth on your point for years. I'd seen family members taking their 44Mag wheel guns with them when they traveled to AK to fish. Ultimately what I settled on was the following:

- I rarely ever train with revolvers. I train with, carry, and compete with Glocks 99.9% of the time.
    - Revolvers with enough power to save my skin from a large animal do not allow for quick follow up shots. A Glock in 10mm allows for very quick splits - even with Underwood ammo.
    - A revolver holds 5 - 8 rounds depending on size and caliber. With a flush fitting mag, a 10mm Glock has 16 rounds ready to go.
    - A Glock even in the large frame models is typically lighter for all day carry than a large frame revolver in 44Mag, 460, 500, etc.
    - If I head into town for an extended period, I can easily switch the Glock to Gold Dots or some other quality 2 legged load. I'm no Doc, but I imagine a 500S&W is still going to be overkill for a human with any ammo.

I've vetted my G40 longslide with the NDZ 22lb RSA over the last couple years. I don't have the round count handy, but have posted it before in these topics. The ammo I prefer is the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator in 140gr and/or the Federal Trophy Bonded JSP 180gr. This is actually the one time I'd probably "candy cane" a mag - using those two loads.

Obviously everyone has to figure out what works best for their circumstances. But for me a Glock beats a revolver every time no matter what loads the revolver sends towards the threat. Of course all this is worst case and assumes I'm not within reach of a long gun. And I agree with you about the Underwood. I think they make any service pistol better at dealing with large game in any caliber. And while I 100% trust @GJM and his 45 Super concept... I believe my being able to stay with the Glock family of weapons is more beneficial to me than using a different gun/trigger while under extreme stress / filling my britches.
    Excellent post, really fleshing out a great rationale for going the G20/10mm route. Low weight, weather/environmental imperviousness, ease of detailed disassembly if required, low lubrication, hgh cartridge capacity are all huge points for a Glock in a wilderness setting.

We're not really on divergent paths. Frankly, when hunting with my .357 stainless Blackhawk, either my Glock G21 or G22 is with me for backup as needed, carried in a Tactical Tailor thigh rig, with Underwood Lehigh cartridges.

Your points for going the G20 route resonate strongly, especially given the platform similarity with your "normal" daily Glocks.

Best, Jon

User Tag List