Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 10mm

Glock 10mm

Im interested in getting a glock in 10mm either a G20 or G29 i was curious as to how these compared the G21 and G36 as far as recoil and handling. From what i can tell they should be fairly similar but i have no experience with the 10mm round. So i thought i would get some insight.
    Thanks and have a great one

Site Supporter
    Handling is the same as the G21 and G30, however the recoil is more like a 40 where you get more snap at the muzzle, especially using full power loads. However the 10 is a lot better at 4 legged creatures than a .45 especially if you are in true back country. I recently picked up a delta elite because I am more of a 1911 guy, however the Glock 20 is a solid pick. I haven't fired the 29, nor would I really want to especially with full power 10mm loads.

The 4 legged creatures is definitely one of the reasons i was looking at the 10mm well that and then the obvious 2 legged kind. But what would you say the range on a full power 10mm load would be realistically not what comes on a chart or box. And thanks for you input it is greatly appreciated

You may want to read GJM's thread on the H&K USP 45 in 45 Super for this role: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

Step outside of the light loaded ".40 S&W Long" formats sold at the store, and prepare for some serious personal R&D to find a reliable load . And perhaps a worn out or broken pistol.

I rocked a 10mm for a short time and can echo GJMs sentiments. For non-woodsmen purposes a 9mm does the same job as a 10mm with less wear and tear on man, machine and mans wallet. For woodsmen use , do what he did.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I have both a G20 and a G29... If you reload you'll find that the 10mm has a very wide performance envelope, I've loaded all the way down to about 130 PF (took a 10# RSA to cycle in my G20) up to about 225 PF. Currently my 'practice' load is 6grn of VV 3n37 behind a 200grn TCFMJ Zero that, according to my Vhit book makes ~193 PF. I think it shoots fairly softy, more 'pushy' than 'snappy' and others who've shot it have commented that it was a lot softer than they expected, and it's about the same PF as most .40 defensive loads. You can go a lot hotter if you like, 250 PF isn't uncommon, but 225 PF feels like about as much as the stock RSA is happy with, so you'd probably want more spring. I haven't gone that route, so I'm no help. As a more direct answer to your query, I think that using comparable weight projectiles, propelled at comparable velocities, 10mm and .45 probably 'feel' fairly similar. But, if you compare a 230grn .45 @ 200 PF to a 155grn 10mm @ 200 PF they would 'feel' considerably different.

Many of us have been down this road. I ended up with a WC 10mm when the glocks just couldn't handle the loads I wanted. Plus, I don't know if you know this or not, but glock uses plastic for a lot of their gun.:-)

The 1911 10mm is really nice, but still not quite what it could be. I went to a usp expert after seeing gjm's success with 45 super. Mine is not a bear gun, but a hunting gun, so the expert seems the better choice. For what you seem to want, a standard usp45 would be my choice.

With full power 10mm loads, recoil is substantially greater in G29 than a G36.

I'm not aware of any 10mm auto pistol that holds up to full tilt 10mm loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I'm not aware of any 10mm auto pistol that holds up to full tilt 10mm loads.
    What do most folks consider full power loads? My G40 has been great so far with some very stout ammo, but I don't know where they rank on the scale of options. I won't use hand loads in it, so I've been testing only factory options.
    Last edited by El Cid; 10-14-2016 at 04:53 PM.

User Tag List