Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HiTS Defensive Revolver

HiTS Defensive Revolver

A while ago Wayne and I embarked on a little revolver project. We used some of our industry contacts to be allowed to hand select ourselves a couple of S&W Model 64 4" NY-1 .38 Spl. Trade-in Revolvers from a large dealer. The guns were then dropped off with Heirloom Precision and later taken by Ted Yost when he went out on his own. We put together a list of things we wanted, and then Ted imparted some of his ideas to get us to our goal. The original goal was a super reliable, easy to use revolver that could be deployed in an emergency by any member of our respective households that includes young girls who may have to use them in an extreme emergency. The guns are stainless and would utilize VZ G-10 grips for long term durability and hard use. All internals would be hard chromed after action work. Trigger stops and rounded triggers and most importantly, custom sights that would give a precision sight picture, but be fixed. The front sights would utilize a gold line. The guns were originally intended to be 4" guns. After a discussion with Ted at the end of the process, he suggested a compromise of going with a semi round butt and 3.5" barrel. This would put them right between a 3" round butt K frame that is usually considered a great concealment revolver for serious work, and the 4" square butt uniform service size. The barrels were cut back and a beautiful crown done.

The guns were just delivered and sighted in for the common 130 gr. FMJ .38 special that we shoot in very high quantity. We also have a very large supply of stored 130gr. Bonded JHP 130 gr. +P .38 that they should shoot close to zero with along with short barrel Gold Dot. They are simply wonderful and balance great. The actions are about perfect for a working gun. We cannot wait to break them in and they will be what we shoot every range training day to maintain our revolver skills, replacing our blued 4" guns in the role of our primary training guns. Mine is getting enough dry practice work now that it has already annoyed my home supervisor with how much I am practicing with it at home.
    I am so impressed I am sending Ted a 640 snub for an identical package to serve as a back up and a J frame trainer.
    We will post more pictures and updates, but here is the initial photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 10-13-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Those actually look like revolvers I'd want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Did you and Wayne each get one or each get a pair ?
    Last edited by HCM; 10-13-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Simply Stunning Darryl.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Holy Mother of God.

I'm pretty sure you already know how I feel about those things. Wow.

Practical perfection! Saw these on Ted's FB page!

Site Supporter
    What are y'all using for holsters/ammo/speedloader pouches? Those sixguns are gorgeous!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Dear god. You know how to inspire envy in me like no one else I've ever known.

I will be honest, however - can't say I care for the grips. Not that they have to be wood (though such would be my preference...) but I am not in love with the beige G10. I am sure they are plenty functional however.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-14-2016 at 05:09 AM.

They look like exactly what I would want in a defensive revolver. The additions/modifications are all practical and nothing seems to have been done "just because." Congratulations, those are some sweet gats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did you and Wayne each get one or each get a pair ?
    One each.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Dear god. You know how to inspire envy in me like no one else I've ever known.

I will be honest, however - can't say I care for the grips. Not that they have to be wood (though such would be my preference...) but I am not in love with the beige G10. I am sure they are plenty functional however.
    If I changed one thing, it would be the grip color. It's funny, we never even talked about color. If I did it over again, I would have gone grey and black or black. With that said, it was simply not a real priority nor is it really now. The key is that the VZ's allow for a lot of contouring. These are really short and only go to the base of the frame almost like a boot grip. Obviously, one of the nice things about both revolvers and the VZ's is they can be easily changed and fitted as I shoot the gun and decide if changes are neccesary.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List