Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools for Canada Travel

Tools for Canada Travel

Looks like I'll be heading to a mine in Ontario for work at the end of the month. I know firearms can't go with me but I'm unfamiliar with Canada's knife laws. What is standard carry for you guys when you travel north of the boarder?

I was thinking a CP and a light for carry items.

Why cant firearms go?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Why cant firearms go?
    You can't bring handguns into Canada.

Yes, I understand. I took long guns though.

you can bring handguns here, just not for self protection, even rifles and shotguns you'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops to be able to bring them in.
    As for knives, nothing that can be flicked open with one hand by action of flipping the knife or wrist around. If you have a Spyderco, Benchmade or whatever, that you can use your thumb to open the blade, that's fine, so long as it's not too loose. I tighten mine up when I come home, then loosen them sometime after leaving customs, at the hotel, my house, wherever. No autos either, or punch style knives, butterfly knives or throwing stars (had to put that last one in there)
    Probably easiest to just post what you want to bring and let tell you if it's okay.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

How's that trick knee of yours? I have one too and usually carry a stout wood walking cane in NPEs in case it gives me problems.

Don't you need a rock hammer for mine stuff?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

On a big knife forum I went looking for feedback on Canada knife carry last year to advise some family driving down the ALCAN.

Pages and pages and lots of Canuks weighing in.

What I gathered is there are few restrictions around specific size and features but self defense is deemed an illegitimate purpose.

Many argued that even in the unlikely event one is questioned about their knife, if asked why you have it, don't ever say self defense.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    you can bring handguns here, just not for self protection, even rifles and shotguns you'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops to be able to bring them in.
    As for knives, nothing that can be flicked open with one hand by action of flipping the knife or wrist around. If you have a Spyderco, Benchmade or whatever, that you can use your thumb to open the blade, that's fine, so long as it's not too loose. I tighten mine up when I come home, then loosen them sometime after leaving customs, at the hotel, my house, wherever. No autos either, or punch style knives, butterfly knives or throwing stars (had to put that last one in there)
    Probably easiest to just post what you want to bring and let tell you if it's okay.
    I don't have a whole lot of options but I was thinking of carrying my Clinch Pick, Benchmade mini-Griptilian and/or Spyderco Ulize, and a flashlight.

Most forms of OC spray are also a no-go, unless it's for "bear or dog control".

Yeah, I don't get that either.

I spent a few days up in Edmonton a couple of years ago. I carried a Surefire and a Leatherman, because I knew those would cause no trouble.
    I can't understand people who think banning guns makes them safer. They must also believe that banning books makes them smarter.

User Tag List