Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools for Canada Travel

Tagged for interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Mine in Ontario'.

Anywhere near Sudbury?

If youre going to be in outdoors situations, or camping or hiking, you should be able to have a long gun for protection from wild animals. A takedown model 12 Winchester breaks down into a 20" long package.

Name:  IMG_5666.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  70.3 KBName:  IMG_5667.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  70.9 KB

If the OP has a Canadian Firearms licence then he could bring a shotgun like that, without a licence, no. As he's not attending a shoot he doesn't qualify for a temp one either.
    The knives listed are fine. Similar to what I carry. Spring assisted is legal too, but again tighten them up so when you go through customs they aren't easy to open.
    Last edited by Slavex; 10-14-2016 at 06:44 PM.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    'Mine in Ontario'.

Anywhere near Sudbury?
    Goderich.
    Last edited by Irelander; 10-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    If youre going to be in outdoors situations, or camping or hiking, you should be able to have a long gun for protection from wild animals.
    I'll be outside, if underground counts.

Thanks guys. I'm really dreading not having a pistol with me for a whole week.

I'm going to go with my CP, mini-Grip, and get one of those CRKT Minimalist knives. I'll also have my FourSevens Quark Tactical QTA.

It's going to be a rough week.
    Last edited by Irelander; 10-19-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm really dreading not having a pistol with me for a whole week...
    Made me think of this.

Scene starts @ 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q23APsYOLs

All in good fun. Actually I think of myself and this scene when having to go without.

Goderich.
    Very cool.

I've spent time in Bayfield with family (their boat is docked there). Nice area of ON.

Looks like I'll be heading to a mine in Ontario for work at the end of the month. I know firearms can't go with me but I'm unfamiliar with Canada's knife laws.
    Criminal Code (R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46)
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/

Defence of Person

Defence — use or threat of force

• 34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if
      • (a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
      • (b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
      • (c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.

• Factors

(2) In determining whether the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances, the court shall consider the relevant circumstances of the person, the other parties and the act, including, but not limited to, the following factors:
      • (a) the nature of the force or threat;
      • (b) the extent to which the use of force was imminent and whether there were other means available to respond to the potential use of force;
      • (c) the person’s role in the incident;
      • (d) whether any party to the incident used or threatened to use a weapon;
      • (e) the size, age, gender and physical capabilities of the parties to the incident;
      • (f) the nature, duration and history of any relationship between the parties to the incident, including any prior use or threat of force and the nature of that force or threat;
      • (f.1) any history of interaction or communication between the parties to the incident;
      • (g) the nature and proportionality of the person’s response to the use or threat of force; and
      • (h) whether the act committed was in response to a use or threat of force that the person knew was lawful.

• No defence

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply if the force is used or threatened by another person for the purpose of doing something that they are required or authorized by law to do in the administration or enforcement of the law, unless the person who commits the act that constitutes the offence believes on reasonable grounds that the other person is acting unlawfully.

• R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 34;
    • 1992, c. 1, s. 60(F);
    • 2012, c. 9, s. 2.

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/page-6.html#h-9>
    prohibited weapon means

• (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or
    • (b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/page-19.html#h-38>
    Possession Offences

Possession of weapon for dangerous purpose

• 88 (1) Every person commits an offence who carries or possesses a weapon, an imitation of a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition for a purpose dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence.
    • Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
      • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years; or
      • (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

• R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 88;
    • 1995, c. 39, s. 139.

Carrying weapon while attending public meeting

• 89 (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition while the person is attending or is on the way to attend a public meeting.
    • Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

• R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 89;
    • 1995, c. 39, s. 139.

Carrying concealed weapon

• 90 (1) Every person commits an offence who carries a weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition concealed, unless the person is authorized under the Firearms Act to carry it concealed.
    • Punishment

(2) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1)
      • (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
      • (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

• R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 90;
    • 1991, c. 28, s. 6, c. 40, ss. 4, 35;
    • 1994, c. 44, s. 6;
    • 1995, c. 39, s. 139.

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/page-20.html#h-39>

Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted (SOR/98-462)
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...462/index.html

PART 3 Prohibited Weapons
    Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 1

• 1 Any device designed to be used for the purpose of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person by the discharge therefrom of
      • (a) tear gas, Mace or other gas, or
      • (b) any liquid, spray, powder or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 2

• 2 Any instrument or device commonly known as “nunchaku”, being hard non-flexible sticks, clubs, pipes, or rods linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.
    • 3 Any instrument or device commonly known as “shuriken”, being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometrical shape, and any similar instrument or device.
    • 4 Any instrument or device commonly known as “manrikigusari” or “kusari”, being hexagonal or other geometrically shaped hard weights or hand grips linked by a length or lengths of rope, cord, wire or chain, and any similar instrument or device.
    • 5 Any finger ring that has one or more blades or sharp objects that are capable of being projected from the surface of the ring.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 3

• 6 Any device that is designed to be capable of injuring, immobilizing or incapacitating a person or an animal by discharging an electrical charge produced by means of the amplification or accumulation of the electrical current generated by a battery, where the device is designed or altered so that the electrical charge may be discharged when the device is of a length of less than 480 mm, and any similar device.
    • 7 A crossbow or similar device that
      • (a) is designed or altered to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands; or
      • (b) has a length not exceeding 500 mm.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 4

• 8 The device known as the “Constant Companion”, being a belt containing a blade capable of being withdrawn from the belt, with the buckle of the belt forming a handle for the blade, and any similar device.
    • 9 Any knife commonly known as a “push-dagger” that is designed in such a fashion that the handle is placed perpendicular to the main cutting edge of the blade and any other similar device other than the aboriginal “ulu” knife.
    • 10 Any device having a length of less than 30 cm and resembling an innocuous object but designed to conceal a knife or blade, including the device commonly known as the “knife-comb”, being a comb with the handle of the comb forming a handle for the knife, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 5

• 11 The device commonly known as a “Spiked Wristband”, being a wristband to which a spike or blade is affixed, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 6

• 12 The device commonly known as “Yaqua Blowgun”, being a tube or pipe designed for the purpose of shooting arrows or darts by the breath, and any similar device.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 7

• 13 The device commonly known as a “Kiyoga Baton” or “Steel Cobra” and any similar device consisting of a manually triggered telescoping spring-loaded steel whip terminated in a heavy calibre striking tip.
    • 14 The device commonly known as a “Morning Star” and any similar device consisting of a ball of metal or other heavy material, studded with spikes and connected to a handle by a length of chain, rope or other flexible material.

Former Prohibited Weapons Order, No. 8

• 15 The device known as “Brass Knuckles” and any similar device consisting of a band of metal with one or more finger holes designed to fit over the fingers of the hand.

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-462/FullText.html>
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    If the OP has a Canadian Firearms licence then he could bring a shotgun like that, without a licence, no. As he's not attending a shoot he doesn't qualify for a temp one either...
    Maybe, and maybe not. The OP must look at the law and decide for himself.

Firearms Act (S.C. 1995, c. 39)
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...1.6/index.html

Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209)
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...209/index.html

Authorized Exportation and Importation
    Individuals

Authorization for non-residents who do not hold a licence to import firearms that are not prohibited firearms

• 35 (1) A non-resident who does not hold a licence may import a firearm that is not a prohibited firearm if, at the time of the importation,
      • (a) the non-resident
        • (i) is eighteen years old or older,
        • (ii) declares the firearm to a customs officer in the prescribed manner and, in the case of a declaration in writing, completes the prescribed form containing the prescribed information, and
        • (iii) in the case of a restricted firearm, produces an authorization to transport the restricted firearm; and

• (b) a customs officer confirms in the prescribed manner the declaration referred to in subparagraph (a)(ii) and the authorization to transport referred to in subparagraph (a)(iii).

• Non-compliance

(2) Where a firearm is declared at a customs office to a customs officer but the requirements of subparagraphs (1)(a)(ii) and (iii) are not complied with, the customs officer may authorize the firearm to be exported from that customs office or may detain the firearm and give the non-resident a reasonable time to comply with those requirements.
    • Disposal of firearm

(3) Where those requirements are not complied with within a reasonable time and the firearm is not exported, the firearm shall be disposed of in the prescribed manner.
    • Non-compliance

(4) If a non-restricted firearm is declared at a customs office to a customs officer and
      • (a) the non-resident has not truthfully completed the prescribed form, or
      • (b) the customs officer has reasonable grounds to believe that it is desirable, in the interests of the safety of the non-resident or any other person, that the declaration not be confirmed,

the customs officer may refuse to confirm the declaration and may authorize the firearm to be exported from that customs office.

• 1995, c. 39, s. 35;
    • 2015, c. 27, s. 8.

Temporary licence and registration certificate

• 36 (1) A declaration that is confirmed under paragraph 35(1)(b) has the same effect after the importation of the firearm as a licence authorizing the non-resident to possess only that firearm and, in the case of a restricted firearm, as a registration certificate for the firearm until
      • (a) the expiry of 60 days after the importation, in the case of a non-restricted firearm; or
      • (b) the earlier of the expiry of 60 days after the importation and the expiry of the authorization to transport, in the case of a restricted firearm.

• Renewal

(2) A chief firearms officer may renew the confirmation of a declaration for one or more periods of sixty days.

<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/page-6.html#h-17>
    Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices
    Memorandum D19-13-2

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html

Personal importations by non-residents

86. Unlike Canadian residents, non-residents importing non-restricted firearms will always need to have a valid purpose for importing. Valid purposes can include:

• (a) hunting during their respective seasons;
    • (b) use in competitions;
    • (c) repair;
    • (d) re-enactments;
    • (e) in transit movement (i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from point A to point B, through Canada); or
    • (f) protection against wildlife in remote areas.

87. A border services officer must be satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm being imported. Please note that non-residents who are proceeding to a Canadian national park should be advised that many national parks do not allow firearms. In addition, non-residents under 18 years of age are not permitted to transfer their firearm to an adult to ensure its importation.
    Licensed non-residents
    88. Non-residents may import non-restricted firearms into Canada or may move them in transit through Canada if they:

• (a) have a valid purpose for importing the firearms;
    • (b) have a valid Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) or Possession Only Licence (POL) authorizing possession of that class of firearm.

Non-resident without a Canadian firearms licence
    89. If the non-resident does not have a licence, he or she must:

• (a) have a valid purpose for importing the firearm(s);
    • (b) complete a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (CAFC909) and, if applicable, a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (CAFC910);
    • (c) pay the confirmation fee; and
    • (d) have the NRFD confirmed by the border services officer.

90. Once confirmed, the NRFD acts as a temporary licence for the non-resident for the firearm(s) listed.
    Note: The confirmation fee is valid for 60 days from the date of payment and covers all firearms on the declaration. On any subsequent importation within the 60 day period of the same non-restricted firearm(s), the border services officer will match the firearm(s) to the original NRFD, but no additional fee is payable.

<http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html>
    Last edited by Wendell; 10-21-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    If the OP has a Canadian Firearms licence then he could bring a shotgun like that, without a licence, no. As he's not attending a shoot he doesn't qualify for a temp one either.
    The knives listed are fine. Similar to what I carry. Spring assisted is legal too, but again tighten them up so when you go through customs they aren't easy to open.
    If my knives are in a suitcase, do I need to get them out and show the customs officer?

I've never been through customs.

User Tag List