Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Ameriglo FBI Glock Contract Sights

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    I strongly agree with this.
    I do as well. I’m surprised it’s still up for debate.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

My one set of "Bolds" also had wildly misaligned front "dot". I switched to a (gasp) older generation Proglo front mated to Operator rears, and, wonder of wonders, my pistols shoot dead on POA/POI out to 25 yards...

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I do as well. I’m surprised it’s still up for debate.
    Probably because everybody's vision is different. There are a lot of things that can be debated to the point of outing a singular truth, but when it comes to vision, there is no such thing as one-size fits all.

There are a number of respected instructors like Mike Pannone, Kyle Defoor, Tom Givens, Bob Vogel and Frank Proctor who don't use night sights.

https://youtu.be/av8Nfjn-230

Yes but those gents now primarily spend their range time training people and measuring performance on cardboard during the day, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    There are a number of respected instructors like Mike Pannone, Kyle Defoor, Tom Givens, Bob Vogel and Frank Proctor who don't use night sights.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Yes but those gents now primarily spend their range time training people and measuring performance on cardboard during the day, right?
    Vogel said his duty G35 had fiber optic sights when he was a cop. Pannone and Proctor said their pistols were equipped with fiber sights when they were in Iraq and Afghanistan. Kyle Defoor's CCW is a G19 with his all black sights, and he prefers to use his handheld with a neck index.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

I’ve heard Vogel say the reason he uses the FO sights is because he always has a weaponlight on the gun to illuminate them. I’ve just seen too many real world situations and training days where weaponlights have failed to trust them 100%, including a high risk, high profile kidnapping rescue mission we were involved in where there was a major weaponlight failure that almost cost a lot of good guys their lives.

I teach shooting and tactics to about 40-50 swat and tactical teams annually as well as some special operations military and LE units from other countries, and regularly run across individuals or units who discount night sights for the same reason. When I put them on the timer, I’ve never seen anyone actually perform remotely close to their “broad daylight” performance using a black or fiber sight in low light without a flashlight, while the guys using night’s sights are almost just as fast and usually more accurate in low light than they are in broad daylight.

I understand my perspective is going to be different than a non-LE civilian who isn’t having daily/weekly interactions with shady people in low light situations though. You’ve gotta figure out what makes sense for you and the situations you’re likely to be in while carrying.
    Last edited by Gio; 05-12-2018 at 09:13 PM.

After shooting steel plates in the dark and having no weaponlight. My fiber front seemed less useful. With a light not bad but it was pretty fucking hard for me to make hits. In reality I would not most likely be making shots without seeing my target. But using bolds on the same plates that night made it seem fairly easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

I understand my perspective is going to be different than a non-LE civilian who isn’t having daily/weekly interactions with shady people in low light situations though. You’ve gotta figure out what makes sense for you and the situations you’re likely to be in while carrying.
    I’m in the “non LE civilian” category and could not agree with this more.

‘For me’ a chance encounter at WalMart or pumping gas is what drives my mindset, vs. gearing up as a LEO to go into harms way.

So having ‘night sights’ for entering a pitch black room isn’t something I primarily consider.

But, the Ameriglo front sights not only have a big orange dot, but also a glow in the dark center. The rears appear black in daylight but glow at night also. Plus they don’t cut up my clothes like the Trijicon HDs I had. So, that seems to me that covers what I need as a CCW holder?

Anyway, for those reasons I ended up with essentially that set up in both my G19 and G26, and I really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I’ve heard Vogel say the reason he uses the FO sights is because he always has a weaponlight on the gun to illuminate them. I’ve just seen too many real world situations and training days where weaponlights have failed to trust them 100%, including a high risk, high profile kidnapping rescue mission we were involved in where there was a major weaponlight failure that almost cost a lot of good guys their lives.

I teach shooting and tactics to about 40-50 swat and tactical teams annually as well as some special operations military and LE units from other countries, and regularly run across individuals or units who discount night sights for the same reason. When I put them on the timer, I’ve never seen anyone actually perform remotely close to their “broad daylight” performance using a black or fiber sight in low light without a flashlight, while the guys using night’s sights are almost just as fast and usually more accurate in low light than they are in broad daylight.

Indeed. Non-LEO/non-MIL here, taking my first low-light handgun class in August. I’m anxious to see just how illuminating it will be. Particularly with my all black sights.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List