Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Ameriglo FBI Glock Contract Sights

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

I will say this. As far as unholstering and putting rounds on fast they are amazing.
    Keep in mind this ^^^^ is exactly what the FBI and BOLD sights are designed for.

If you want to shoot 25 yard B8's Dawson's, heinies, DeFoors, Warrens etc are all superior choices. The thinner .125 front helps too.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-22-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Keep in mind this ^^^^ is exactly what the FBI and BOLD sights are designed for.

You can shoot 25 yard B8's with them but they are not optimal like say Dawson's or an RDS.
    Which they excel at, my problem was I did not do enough research and buying a .140 front. I thought they were poa/poi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Which they excel at, my problem was I did not do enough research and buying a .140 front. I thought they were poa/poi.

Is ameriglo making different height front sights yet ? A taller front will address this. Call ameriglo and see if the have different height .125 sights. I can't imagine the got a major LE agency contract without making more than one height front. If not trijicon makes several different height HD front sights- I was told 7 different height HD fronts for the Glock..

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Is ameriglo making different height front sights yet ? A taller front will address this. Call ameriglo and see if the have different height .125 sights. I can't imagine the got a major LE agency contract without making more than one height front. If not trijicon makes several different height HD front sights- I was told 7 different height HD fronts for the Glock..
    I am going to further investigate this. I know their website is horrible. I tried looking on there but info is dated. I also knew going in that I liked square rear over the u notch. But I could not find a blue label ameriglo model in my area.

Site Supporter
    I am going to further investigate this. I know their website is horrible. I tried looking on there but info is dated. I also knew going in that I liked square rear over the u notch. But I could not find a blue label ameriglo model in my area.

Their website is a liability for them. Call.

Trukinjp13,

At the risk of stating the obvious, when you say "I thought they were poa=poi", you are missing part of the formula -- at what distance?

This seems more intuitive when we talk about zeroing a rifle as the parabolic path of the bullet is more noticeable at greater distances than with a pistol. But even mechanical offset exists with a pistol. Look up Federal ballistic charts for their AE & HST rounds. They use a nominal value of 0.9".

So right away at very close distances this matters. Typically a handgun zeroed at 25 yds. will be about 0.6" low at 7yds. & ~0.8" low at 3yds.
    This is most noticeable doing Dot Torture drills when you're using the ledge aiming at the perfect center of the 2" circle. As you know, the choice in aiming there is to either use the Drive the Dot method, which you dislike, or aim 3/4" high with normal sight alignment.

There is no sighting system that is poa=poi at all distances from <3 yds. - 50+ yds. As others have mentioned, the FBI wanted poa=poi shooting at 25 yds with 147gr. Speer G2 ammo in the G17M/G19M platform and I'm guessing the std. height Bold Series sights gives them that.

Other considerations such as using the thin front (.125W) vs. the wider .140 front simply are personal preference in the speed vs. precision debate.

I prefer to adjust the front sight height to achieve my desired zero at 25yds. using Federal 147 AE which mimics the ballistic trajectory of Federal 147 HST and then learn the various minor hold overs needed at closer distances as I too dislike the Drive The Dot method.

I hope this helps clarify things a little. And for what it's worth, I have a set of the FBI sights with the thin front post inbound for my G17.4. Not counting my Dawson FO permutations of front sight height & width & rear notch widths, this will be my eighth different set in less than 16 months on this gun so I can relate.

Gary
    Last edited by Pima Cty Five-O; 10-22-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pima Cty Five-O View Post
    Trukinjp13,

At the risk of stating the obvious, when you say "I thought they were poa=poi", you are missing part of the formula -- at what distance?

This seems more intuitive when we talk about zeroing a rifle as the parabolic path of the bullet is more noticeable at greater distances than with a pistol. But even mechanical offset exists with a pistol. Look up Federal ballistic charts for their AE & HST rounds. They use a nominal value of 0.9".

So right away at very close distances this matters. Typically a handgun zeroed at 25 yds. will be about 0.6" low at 7yds. & ~0.8" low at 3yds.
    This is most noticeable doing Dot Torture drills when you're using the ledge aiming at the perfect center of the 2" circle. As you know, the choice in aiming there is to either use the Drive the Dot method, which you dislike, or aim 3/4" high with normal sight alignment.

There is no sighting system that is poa=poi at all distances from <3 yds. - 50+ yds. As others have mentioned, the FBI wanted poa=poi shooting at 25 yds with 147gr. Speer G2 ammo in the G17M/G19M platform and I'm guessing the std. height Bold Series sights gives them that.

Other considerations such as using the thin front (.125W) vs. the wider .140 front simply are personal preference in the speed vs. precision debate.

I prefer to adjust the front sight height to achieve my desired zero at 25yds. using Federal 147 AE which mimics the ballistic trajectory of Federal 147 HST and then learn the various minor hold overs needed at closer distances as I too dislike the Drive The Dot method.

I hope this helps clarify things a little. And for what it's worth, I have a set of the FBI sights with the thin front post inbound for my G17.4. Not counting my Dawson FO permutations of front sight height & width & rear notch widths, this will be my eighth different set in less than 16 months on this gun so I can relate.

Gary
    Okay. Simply put. Sights shoot too low. It really is that simple. My buddy has same gun with the same sights. Shot his out to 25 yards. For him it was still too low. I normally shoot within we will say 15 yards. I did most of my shooting within 7 with these sights. It was 2-3” low. When I went out to around 12 ish it was still low. I never expected the sights to do the same thing at every distance. They do not do what I need them to do.

I do not like the sights. Front is too wide, orange blurs the picture. I need sights that do what I do with them. I have owned plenty of pistols with different sights. This gun originally had gen 4 height sights on it. It shot to where I needed it to in the distance I shoot. This is my opinion and some of you guys gave me great advice about getting the height squared away. Because these are very different heights then what Glocks usually run.

Contacted ameriglo. They are going to try and trade out the front sight for me. .125 green front with a lower height to help my poi. Very happy with their willingness to help me. As I take responsibility in the color and width not working for me.

Compared to the HD XRs, these have a slightly tighter rear notch, less pointy rear sight, and sit lower on the slide, right?

What effects do sights sitting lower on the slide and having a tighter rear notch have on shooting (acquisition, speed, accuracy), comparatively speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Compared to the HD XRs, these have a slightly tighter rear notch, less pointy rear sight, and sit lower on the slide, right?

What effects do sights sitting lower on the slide and having a tighter rear notch have on shooting (acquisition, speed, accuracy), comparatively speaking?
    Sight height plays to the “height over bore” phenomenon. So the taller your sights the more of the bullet’s arc you will see with points of impact at various distances. You’ll definitely not see it nearly as much as you would with something like an AR, but it’s still there. On a pistol, it’s a pretty negligible difference.

As far as front post to rear notch “tightness”, at this time, I prefer a tighter notch. It doesn’t cost me any time to acquire a good sight package, in fact I’d argue that it reduces the amount of time I need to get a good sight package, and it helps me acquire that sight package faster for shots at distance. Everyone’s eyes are different as well as how they use any given sight system, so your mileage may vary.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List