Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 637 with 2.5" barrel

New 637 with 2.5" barrel

This weekend I attended the Pat Rogers Memorial Revolver Round-Up. After it was over, I looked over my notes, and decided the BUG I wanted was a Smith and Wesson J-frame with a 2.5" barrel.

I can detect the raised eyebrows from here. "What?? Has that wretched man been chugging down quarts of liquor from his infamous Wall-O-Booze? Such a thing does not exist. Surely he must have scored some sort of bespoke wheelgun!"

Negative. Behold:

Name:  sw637.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  63.3 KB

It's a Model 637 with a 2.5" barrel, and thusly has a full-length ejector rod with a protective shroud.

First things first - I'm replaced that accursed lock with a plug from Bullseye Smith.

So I am also thinking about having the hammer bobbed, the action slicked up and converted to DAO, and getting the cylinder chamfered.

Maybe a XS Big Dot front sight? The eyes, they no see so good anymore.

I'm planning on putting it in a Dark Star Gear AIWB rig.

I use Safariland Comp I speedloaders with it, so I'm leaning towards some Eagle Secret Service grips, or Kim Ahrends banana grips, preferably in spalted maple to match my 686.

Any other suggestions from the experts here? I'm not planning on blowing my granddaughter's college fund on this, but am happy to make it a good investment.

That's very interesting. I like the fact that the front sight is pinned. I'd buy one, if it weren't for the lock. Heck, I may buy one anyways.

They made a 638 with that barrel. I had one for a while. Put a tritium sight and apex spring kit and extended firing pin in it. Just don't like the J's. So it got sold.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I like Eagle Secret Service grips, but make sure tbey know to include a speedloader cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Anyone have any pics of a gun with the plug installed? The only one I found online looked pretty primitive.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Anyone have any pics of a gun with the plug installed? The only one I found online looked pretty primitive.
    I can post some this weekend, out of town for a couple of days.

Site Supporter
    What's the SKU on this little guy? It's becoming harder and harder for this revolver newbie to get an grasp, and SKU numbers are a solid way to keep track (car guy = p/n habit)
    Last edited by jeep45238; 10-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Never mind...PM sent.
    Last edited by Willard; 10-12-2016 at 09:03 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    SKU numbers are a solid way to keep track (car guy = p/n habit)
    Yup. Any description other than a part number is subject to misinterpretation.

You can remove the lock, have a bit of fun with your Dremel removing the tab on the lock, Winstanley the neutered lock face and use the cash for a couple of IPAs.

There are numerous YouTube videos on the process.

I'm neither a gunsmith nor an attorney, so this isn't advice.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List