Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A small slice of Correct Vehicle Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Does anyone use 20 rd mags in vehicles?
    I've shot a bit with our 20 rounders in the SMG and they "feel" handy but I did not note a problem using the 32rnd (SMG) or 30rnd (Mk18) mags in the cross-loads/bailouts I've done.

Using a 20 round would not offer any benefits if the weapon is being carried in the bags we use, either.

I wouldn't feel inclined to use a 20 round mag for my purposes.

YMMV for your purposes. If I was carrying an AR as a field gun in a domestic outdoors deal, I would probably never use anything greater than a 20 round mag, maybe even use a 10 round P-Mag for a lot. Grabbing the AR off the rack to shoot a predator vs being on the receiving end of an ambush, mission drives the gear train, that whole bit.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Can you expand on this a bit? I have found that I will not think to swap mags on my sidearm, so do you keep a dedicated car pistol with a big mag, or do you swap the big mag into the gun administratively when you get in the vehicle? Is it just for a reload after the normal mag? Most of the time when I've been shot at in vehicles, the shooters were too far away to make a pistol my go to choice. Overseas, not domestic. Here they tend to be closer. And they tend to run away...

A couple of weeks ago I had to draw while in the car. I had my hand on my pistol before I thought to unlock the rifle mount, which is what I did a second later and stepped out with the rifle. Much better choice for me.
    I spent quite a bit of time overseas in a soft-skin vehicle traveling in densely populated urban areas. Problems were likely to materialize quickly and at close range much like here in the U.S. Under those conditions, I greatly prefer the pistol. In other places, using different vehicles and/or with different threats, the pistol was of less value.

When using a pistol, my preference was something extended in the gun (G19 with a G17 mag with or without a +2; G22 with a +1 or an M-9 with a 20-rd mag), though it depended on the environment and how receptive the locals were to me being armed. I would run a standard mag if that is all I could get away with. The larger Glock mags were reserved as reloads in the vehicle. I did not swap magazines. The SOP was to reload off the car before your person, if possible.

I have done the dedicated car gun and I think there is merit to using one under certain conditions. I liked the MP-5k a lot in this role.
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 10-22-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time overseas in a soft-skin vehicle traveling in densely populated urban areas. Problems were likely to materialize quickly and at close range much like here in the U.S. Under those conditions, I greatly prefer the pistol. In other places, using different vehicles and/or with different threats, the pistol was of less value.

When using a pistol, my preference was something extended in the gun (G19 with a G17 mag with or without a +2; G22 with a +1 or an M-9 with a 20-rd mag), though it depended on the environment and how receptive the locals were to me being armed. I would run a standard mag if that is all I could get away with. The larger Glock mags were reserved as reloads in the vehicle. I did not swap magazines. The SOP was to reload off the car before your person, if possible.

I have done the dedicated car gun and I think there is merit to using one under certain conditions. I liked the MP-5k a lot in this role.
    I'm tracking now, thanks very much for the explanation.

In the FWIW category, I currently run G 17, and have plus 2 mags in the vehicle as reloads, as well as a 22 rounder. When I was overseas, I usually had a Sig 229, and would run 20 round mags in the gun when it wasn't concealed. Sometimes we had G19's, and usually only had the standard mags for them. I have found the 33rnd mags to negatively affect the weapons handling, but in a car it probably wouldn't matter much. We also had the SOP to reload off the vehicle before dipping into our basic load. Even domestically, I have an M4 mag handy in the car, as well as my spare pistol mags.

Agree with the sentiment about hi-cap mags inside a vehicle. This pic is from when I carried a G21. Two 13rd mags and a 28rd mag in the door pocket. I switched to 9mm a couple years ago there is now a 33rd mag in the door and 17+2 mags in the pouches.

I used the Mec Gar 20 round mags as my extras when we carried the 5906 at work, they were very high quality gear.

Not a fan of the Glock 31/33 round mags, just too much of a good thing in a pistol. The G17 mags with the OEM +2 have been my go-to mags for awhile now. Testing the new MagPul 21 round mags right now, they are GTG so far.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I used the Mec Gar 20 round mags as my extras when we carried the 5906 at work, they were very high quality gear.

Not a fan of the Glock 31/33 round mags, just too much of a good thing in a pistol. The G17 mags with the OEM +2 have been my go-to mags for awhile now. Testing the new MagPul 21 round mags right now, they are GTG so far.
    I can see where they might be a liability getting them hung up or snagged but one nice aspect is that the added weight really decreases muzzle flip. (Not to imply that those in this thread have any problems with such.)

I remember when I first came upon them years ago I kiddingly mocked colleagues that used them on entries, but I never observed any issues. Inside a vehicle is of course a much tighter and constrained environment but imho still worth keeping one or more of those so called "happy sticks".
    Last edited by blues; 10-23-2016 at 07:54 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ... but one nice aspect is that the added weight really decreases muzzle flip.
    Perhaps it's a technique issue on my part, but I kind of have the opposite experience. The extra weight being hung off the butt-end of the gun with a long moment arm, and the pendulum effect seems to contribute to muzzle flip. It makes the nose feel light...like putting too much tongue weight on a trailer makes your tow vehicle light in the front.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Perhaps it's a technique issue on my part, but I kind of have the opposite experience. The extra weight being hung off the butt-end of the gun with a long moment arm, and the pendulum effect seems to contribute to muzzle flip. It makes the nose feel light...like putting too much tongue weight on a trailer makes your tow vehicle light in the front.
    Interesting. I found that rapid fire groups I shot from 15 yards and in with the 33 rounder were tighter than usual. I'll try to check it again when I'm able to resume training.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Interesting. I found that rapid fire groups I shot from 15 yards and in with the 33 rounder were tighter than usual. I'll try to check it again when I'm able to resume training.
    I wouldn't sweat it, as I said it could have been just my technique or perception. "Results may vary".
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List