Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A small slice of Correct Vehicle Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    As a side note, I don't see ear pro.
    Orange plugs, pretty deep.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Rolling around the 'hood at alley creep speeds...I'd suggest the odds of a gunfight are more than a crash. There are times and areas I've driven when a gun in my hand. On the interstate? Not so much. Context is everything.
    Yep, there have been times I was very comfortable with a gun under my leg. It was never my only gun. For me, this was a very specialized thing for a specific environment and task. Low speed driving in certain areas hunting people make it a viable option, IMO.

Back in the bad old days in my old stomping grounds cops used what is now known as a "Kingston" holster. They screwed a holster to the center of the base of the seat, or off on the side, so it was always accessible. A few guys I know would move their ankle gun to that holster.

One of our SGT's has a training company and also hosts classes. He is hosting Shrek in March of 2017 for a vehicle tactics course. Info and registration is here.

I am not involved in setting up this class. You can contact the course organizer here with any questions related to the class.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENzsMCSYcw

Some of you probably already saw this, but I just found it. I don't know Shrek, but everything he talks about in this video is stuff I learned over 20 years ago and have been doing ever since. It is good solid stuff, grounded in reality. I was particularly happy to see him talk about the seatbelt. WAY too many cops and jr. commandos seem to get it backwards. Enjoy.
    Spot on.

I have done a good bit of vehicle based stuff, for working oconus, and the basic concepts here are on the money. Plus, until guys have been rammed at high speed, or intentionally rammed vehicles to break contact on ambushes, they really have no clue how much stuff flies around inside of vehicles. This includes fire extinguishers, ammo cans, radios, etc, etc. There is good reason why the smarter outfits strap down literally every can, tire, etc, so as to prevent unnecessary injuries from these flying objects.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=TheNewbie;512323]I met McPhee at a gun store, seemed like a nice guy.

I think it's all risk factors and totality of the circumstances. We know what happened to the FBI guy and hose loose gun in Miami, but if that has been just a back up and not his primary things might have been different . So while it may be foolish to carry your one gun off body , I can see Dagga's point

Post deleted
    Last edited by 11B10; 10-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    What about the gun sliding/flying around in a crash? Were you ever in a big rollover wreck? Things inside the car tend to end up in odd places, and I'd wager that the likelihood of a crash is greater than the need for a separate gun as you describe.
    Yes, I've been in a rollover wreck. The vehicle did 1 1/4 turns and landed on the passenger side with me hanging in the seat belt. A handgun under my leg would have been MIA, but so would McPhee's unsecured carbine. Your point is taken, but there are times you want a gun in hand or as close as possible. The compromise is to carry one gun AIWB.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

For me, the gun under the leg is undesirable. I get why others would choose to use it under limited circumstances and don't disagree.

The issue for me is not a rollover wreck so much, but a much more common emergency braking issue, with or without an impact at the same time. If the gun is your primary, then you likely have no gun. Even if it is not your primary, as has been mentioned here before, I don't want the gun ending up under the pedal and causing more issues. The carbine will not do that ime.

Since I carry AIWB, gun access really isn't an issue for me. Even when I carried strongside, I had a fast, albeit fairly well telegraphed draw.

I don't understand why anyone is bringing up the carbine being unsecured.

We take measures to improve safety and minimize risk; safety and risk are not dealt with in absolutes. There is no other choice for the carbine in the context of protection work, or low-vis work in general; there are no currently offered gun racks which are appropriate for the context that Shrek is addressing here.

This is not a legitimate excuse to say, "whatever, you ride around with your carbine stuffed by the seat so that means it's okay for me to stuff a pistol under my leg." The former we don't have an option...the latter is just you making a decision.
    Last edited by TGS; 10-13-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List